smaller alternator pulley HELP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : smaller alternator pulley HELP

Terp
03-15-2009, 09:58 PM
ok well ive looked all over this site and other sites trying to find this infomation.... does anyone know where i can get a smaller alternator pulley? the one i have on my alternator (HO 200amps) messures 2 3/8th inches and it isnt putting out enough at idle... so i was thinking of getting a smaller SC pulley an fitting it to my alternator... so the question i have is... will these ( http://pulleyboys.com/gms1p.html ) fit on my alternator and fit my belt as well?

hahano404
03-16-2009, 12:28 PM
mrzperformance.com

SSRacer
03-16-2009, 12:40 PM
I bought the mrz one before and returned it because it was not smaller than the factory. It was supposed to be but it was not. I hve not been able to find one that actually is.

mfuller
03-16-2009, 12:42 PM
I might have one......when I get home tonight I'll measure it and let you know.

vd5505
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
just a question but why would you want to put out more amps at idle? does your car idle alot or something, the problem is that you do alot more driving than your car does idling so by driving your RPM's will be up higher and there for putting out way more than enough Amps that what your system can probably handle, what type of battery do you have?

Nick-G
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
just a question but why would you want to put out more amps at idle? does your car idle alot or something, the problem is that you do alot more driving than your car does idling so by driving your RPM's will be up higher and there for putting out way more than enough Amps that what your system can probably handle, what type of battery do you have?

He probably has an underdrive crank pulley.

Terp
03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
no underdrive crank pulley and i have an optima yellow top.... and yes my car does do alot of sitting an idling... its built for show and spends a considerable amount of time idling at outdoor shows... im powering 2 compressors, 6 monitors, 2 wallen strobe kits, some neon, and a component amp for my speakers... if left idling long enough my battery drains way too much then it should. at idle with everything on there is not enough power... but if i increase the rpms to around 800-900... i have more than enough power... so instead of buying a second battery and everything to install it, i figure a slightly smaller pulley for 50-60 bucks is the better way to go... well that is the way im going to go, i just need help finding a place that sells smaller pulleys that are for our cars, or one that can be made to work on our cars.

and i dunno if it says it on here or not but its an '01 3400

Nick-G
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
no underdrive crank pulley and i have an optima yellow top.... and yes my car does do alot of sitting an idling... its built for show and spends a considerable amount of time idling at outdoor shows... im powering 2 compressors, 6 monitors, 2 wallen strobe kits, some neon, and a component amp for my speakers... if left idling long enough my battery drains way too much then it should. at idle with everything on there is not enough power... but if i increase the rpms to around 800-900... i have more than enough power... so instead of buying a second battery and everything to install it, i figure a slightly smaller pulley for 50-60 bucks is the better way to go... well that is the way im going to go, i just need help finding a place that sells smaller pulleys that are for our cars, or one that can be made to work on our cars.

and i dunno if it says it on here or not but its an '01 3400

Im not sure where you can find one for that price.

Terp
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Im not sure where you can find one for that price.

the one from ZZP is $64 to my front door... but ive read too many stories about people getting them from ZZP and the pulley actually ends up being larger than the stock pulley

Nick-G
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
the one from ZZP is $64 to my front door... but ive read too many stories about people getting them from ZZP and the pulley actually ends up being larger than the stock pulley

lol my bad for some reason I was thinking the pulleys where more expensive than that.

tenspeed
03-16-2009, 07:54 PM
.... and yes my car does do alot of sitting an idling... its built for show and spends a considerable amount of time idling at outdoor shows...

Instead of looking for a smaller pully that no one makes, how about some way to open/adjust your throttle plate a little when you're parked at a show?

Terp
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Instead of looking for a smaller pully that no one makes, how about some way to open/adjust your throttle plate a little when you're parked at a show?

ive done that... there is a little star nut on the TB that adjusts the idle... but then the computer readjusts or compinsates for it because it only lasts idling higher for a minute or so then drops back down to 6-650rpms.

ga2001gt532
03-16-2009, 10:49 PM
wouldn't that be bad for you alternator since its built for the pulley that it has on it, so when you are driving on a road the alternator will be spinning faster then normal causing the bearing to wear out prematurely if i'am correct. and especialy at full throttle which you might not being doing since its a show car.

Terp
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
well after some careful consideration and some input by people on this site and a few other sites... ive desided to take the pulley to a local machine shop and have them turn down the pulley by about a 1/4 inch.... we'll see what happens... ill be sure to post up the pros an cons i experience throughout this little endevor

Rexter
03-17-2009, 04:46 AM
I think there are afew people over on aleromod.com that have the smaller alt pulley. There was a member that was making them at one point, I had pmed him, Ill see if I can find out some more info.

tenspeed
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
ive done that... there is a little star nut on the TB that adjusts the idle... but then the computer readjusts or compinsates for it because it only lasts idling higher for a minute or so then drops back down to 6-650rpms.

Didn't know that for sure. Damn cars are getting smarter all the time.

How about something that actually makes the throttle cable tighter, like a removable shim that you use for shows? That would allow you to return it to the stock position for regular driving when the show over.

I have cruise control and I could add a shim on the end of the cruise cable where the knob is to increase the tension. That would pull the throttle plate open and the computer couldn't close it. It would act as if you had your foot on the gas pedal.