Wiring Amp Through Firewall [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Amp Through Firewall

germaphobicmonk
03-17-2009, 07:51 PM
I am having alot of trouble finding a suitable place to push my power cable from my battery to the amp through the firewall. I have taken off pieces of plastic, pulled back carpet, etc. I CANNOT find a hole anywhere through the fire wall.

Any how-to's/pics would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help

=)

Jake
03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
When you peel back the carpet its like right behind the pedals and up to the left a little bit if I remember right, I haven't done this on a ga in a while but it is like right there you cant miss it..

germaphobicmonk
03-17-2009, 08:26 PM
When you peel back the carpet its like right behind the pedals and up to the left a little bit if I remember right, I haven't done this on a ga in a while but it is like right there you cant miss it..

I took that plastic piece off that is connected to the car then I pulled back the carpet as far as it would go. I saw some wires coming from two or three grommets, but which one do I choose? All of the grommets looked jam packed full. I am not sure I could fit ANY wire into them. Someone told me you could take off the fuse box in the engine bay to make it easier. Is this true??

dagenais
03-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Yes you can slide the fuse box... there is a clip you prey and you will be able to gain about 4inch enough to get your hand in to feed the cable into via the firewall

ga2001gt532
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
when i did mine i never pryed any of the carpet up. Theirs a spot where like a bunch of wires go into a rubber thing that i pushed mine through, which is above the brake pedal, but it was a pain in the ass for me and i'm small.

burgett2103
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
yes, there is a spot in the firewall just above the pedals as others have said. it's rather easy to do and there is room to reach down and pull it through up to the battery

germaphobicmonk
03-19-2009, 12:41 AM
yes, there is a spot in the firewall just above the pedals as others have said. it's rather easy to do and there is room to reach down and pull it through up to the battery

I must be retarded. (no puns please) =)

I can't find anything.

I don't have to work tomorrow, so I guess I'm just going to go out there and mess around until I am sure I can get a good pass-through for the wire.

KhellendrosxS
03-19-2009, 06:49 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/sudden_impulse/05-09-08_1627.jpg

That is where it goes through to the engine bay (the gray grommet). I poked a coat hanger through it (very carefully) and then snaked the wire back into the cabin...my wire was a 1 Gauge power wire to relocate my battery plus miscellaneous wires to power/run my gauges so whatever you are planning to put through will fit.

Like a couple of others have said if you slide the fuse box under the hood forward and you kneel on top of your engine you should be able to get right on top of it and push the wire through from the engine side. There are two grommets there and the upper one goes in behind the dash somewhere, you want the large lower one with a ton of wires heading through it.

germaphobicmonk
03-21-2009, 12:37 AM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n134/sudden_impulse/05-09-08_1627.jpg

That is where it goes through to the engine bay (the gray grommet). I poked a coat hanger through it (very carefully) and then snaked the wire back into the cabin...my wire was a 1 Gauge power wire to relocate my battery plus miscellaneous wires to power/run my gauges so whatever you are planning to put through will fit.

Like a couple of others have said if you slide the fuse box under the hood forward and you kneel on top of your engine you should be able to get right on top of it and push the wire through from the engine side. There are two grommets there and the upper one goes in behind the dash somewhere, you want the large lower one with a ton of wires heading through it.

Thank you SO much! I got through it with no problems. =)

I took a box cutter and made an "x" in the gray grommet, put the wire through, slid the fuse box up, and voila! No problems.

Thanks guys!

iceman
03-21-2009, 01:57 AM
good thing you searched, read stickies, and posted in the right section...

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15389