Grinding sound between 2000 and 3000 rpm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Grinding sound between 2000 and 3000 rpm

Upshift
03-20-2009, 08:59 PM
The car in question is a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL with V6 and 4 speed auto.

I sometimes hear a quiet grinding sound coming from the front when i accelerate averagely and the sound only occurs between 2000 and 3000 RPM when i accelerate so that the transmission shifts anywhere in between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I know that I also hear squeaking from the belt, just in case it might be related.

Anyone have any clue as to what the grinding sound could be?

FromTheInside
03-21-2009, 09:11 AM
I had it and it was my alternator pulley as well as one of my idler pulleys which eventually broke. The bearings grinded as they spun since they were all shot. My belt squeaked too during that time but no more. Check all of your pulleys before one breaks off on the highway and causes your head gasket to blow because of overheating... (like mine!)

Upshift
03-21-2009, 12:57 PM
Alright I'll look into that. Thanks!

FromTheInside
03-21-2009, 04:07 PM
No problem, hopefully it is this simple...

RPO3
03-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Owe I need to check my **** too. Same prob...I thought my rotors were going

Upshift
03-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Yep so far your guess seems spot on, popped the hood yesterday and revved the engine to check where the general area of the grinding sound came from. And yeah from up close it really does come from the accessory pulley area.

If it really is the pulleys, thankfully it's probably a much cheaper repair then engine or tranny damage LOL

I wonder if this is normal wear at my current milage? 160 000km(100 000 miles)

FromTheInside
03-22-2009, 09:38 AM
yeah I would assume so even though it is bull. My pulleys started acting up at around 115000 miles. The alternator and both black idler pulleys have been replaced as well as the belt tensioner pulley because the spring wasn't as tight anymore causing squealing. Remove the belt and spin some of the pulleys and listen. If you cannot pinpoint it, then remove both idler pulleys and spin them around your finger. You'll feel slight grinding or something like that when you do it. Also, put your head next to the alternator and spin it as well and keep another hand on top of it to do the same thing. It is definitely worth doing because one will eventually cease or break entirely causing more work than you want.

RPO3
03-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Do yo have a link to both of these pulleys for purchase? Mine is doing it at 43k miles

FromTheInside
03-22-2009, 05:26 PM
RPO3:

Go to www.rockauto.com and find your 2004 GA with your 3.4L engine in the list. After that, clock "belt drive" and you will see the belt tensioner and idler pulley. The site is very very trustworthy and good. I used it to get my head gasket set and bolts. I am going to use it to get my catalytic converter for 169 bucks too with the downpipe connected. Hopefully Upshift determines that the condition was in fact one of his pulleys. If so, he can use the rockauto link as well.