Projector lights wired wrong? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Projector lights wired wrong?

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
I got my set of projector lights from E-bay and put them in today. Everything went fine with the cutting and install but the lights don't seem to act quite right. I didn't have to splice any wires since they already had connectors for everything built-in but my high beam light on the dash is on now no matter what position the switch is in. I also haven't seen the halo rings actually light up yet but I ran out of time to play with them this afternoon.

Another oddity; my low beam setting seems to be much brighter than the high beam setting on the switch. I'm wondering if they got the wiring backwards on both the lights but before I start splicing wires together I'd like a second opinion. Has anyone else had this issue with their e-bay projector lights? It wouldn't surprise me so much if they got one of the lights wired backwards but both of them seems a bit unlikely. Also, I'm not sure if the projector (with the halo) is supposed to be the high beam or if the open faced bulb next to it is. Can anyone give me some advice on that too?

These are the lights I have: Projectors (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350175201550&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=).

I'm waiting for the wife to get home from her Mary Kay party she's hosting tonight and I'll try to get a few pictures then.

pontga00
03-21-2009, 02:51 PM
I have the same ones.

I get the high beam indicator on all the time too. It probably has to do with the fact that the stock 9007 is dual filament (I think), but the projector (H1 for low and H1 for high) is not. They still work fine (high and low), its just that the indicator is on all the time. I guess you could always pull that bulb out of the gauge cluster...

As for the halos, they come on with the parking lights and are dim to begin with. During the day you really won't see them at all. At night, they are still dim. What I did was replace the 6 blue 194 bulbs the halos came with and put in super white led 194's. It helped alot.

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I can live with the high beam light being on unless anyone knows how to trick the car into recognizing these lights as a 9007 bulb.

Can you tell me which bulb on these lights is supposed to be on when I have the high beams off? As I said, I think they may be backwards because the lights are brighter when I have the high/low beam switch in the low position. Are the halo ringed H1's the highs or lows?

I may get around to swapping out the LED's someday but the halo ring wasn't all that much of a selling point to me. I mostly wanted the clean look of the projector housings. If you can post a quick how-to on changing the led's then I may give it a shot someday.

Thanks for the reply so far. My wife should be home any minute so I can go work on these again.

2000 GT Coupe
03-21-2009, 02:59 PM
I have the same ones.

I get the high beam indicator on all the time too. It probably has to do with the fact that the stock 9007 is dual filament (I think), but the projector (H1 for low and H1 for high) is not. They still work fine (high and low), its just that the indicator is on all the time. I guess you could always pull that bulb out of the gauge cluster...

As for the halos, they come on with the parking lights and are dim to begin with. During the day you really won't see them at all. At night, they are still dim. What I did was replace the 6 blue 194 bulbs the halos came with and put in super white led 194's. It helped alot.

the lights I got, http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78584 Do not leave the bright indicator on all the time nor are the halos dim it also uses a 9006 dim and a H1 bright.

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Both the lights that came with mine are H1's. I pulled them both out and they look identical to me. Also, they don't have the large plastic connector that i see on all the 9006's I searched online. Just a bulb, flat metal plate with a notch cut out and a pin to slide the connector onto.

2000 GT Coupe
03-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Both the lights that came with mine are H1's. I pulled them both out and they look identical to me. Also, they don't have the large plastic connector that i see on all the 9006's I searched online. Just a bulb, flat metal plate with a notch cut out and a pin to slide the connector onto.

Yes that would be the H1, However I guess I am just thinking there has to be some wireing problem to have your bright indicator on, I think I saw an old post about it.

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm been searching the forums and reading nearly every projector thread for the last couple of hours with no luck. If you find it, please post a link for me.

More reading leads me to believe my lights may not be switched after all. My "dims" have a sharp cutoff while the "highs" do not. I'm guessing that means they are wired correctly and they only seem brighter because I'm in my garage and the light is focused only about 5 feet in front of the car. I'll be taking it out for a drive later tonight to verify if the high beams actually give me a better long distance view than the lows.

In theory they should work fine and therefore my original question about the wiring my have been a stupid question. So while I'll be happy to know they are wired correctly, I'll be dissapointed to learn that I'm actually stupid. Of course...if I were actually stupid then would I really know it??? Now my head hurts...

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Any thoughts on whether an HID upgrade might help with the brights indicator issue? If so, I've found a set of H1 HID's for under $100 and I'm pretty sure I can convince the wife it's a necessity if it may fix the indicator...

2000 GT Coupe
03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
this is what I found, but no solution unfortunately, I dont know why I dont have any problem must be a different wireing setup.
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5494&highlight=bright+indicator

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
I may have found an answer over on GAOC. Not sure if this is my problem but I'll be checking the wiring on my blue connector soon. http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96134&highlight=high+beam+dash

FuriousG
03-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Wife finally got home (2 hours late but she thinks she made $300 worth of Mary Kay sales so I guess I'll let it slide...)

I took another look at the lights and realized the reason it's dimmer when I have the switch on high beams is because BOTH the H1 bulbs were lit and it was probably too much power drain on them. Based on what I read over at GAOC, I pulled the headlight and checked the plug. Sure enough, with the clip side of the plug facing me, the wires were Black - Blue - Red. According to the GAOC thread, switching the black and the blue wires around should fix the issue. I'll be doing that tomorrow and I'll post an update when I'm done. Hope it works...

Oh, and I did see the halo lit up now that it's dark. I believe you when you said they were dim but damn...those are barely even enough light to say that they are on. I'd be interested in seeing a how-to on changing those LEDs if you get the chance to write one.

2000 GT Coupe
03-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Wife finally got home (2 hours late but she thinks she made $300 worth of Mary Kay sales so I guess I'll let it slide...)

I took another look at the lights and realized the reason it's dimmer when I have the switch on high beams is because BOTH the H1 bulbs were lit and it was probably too much power drain on them. Based on what I read over at GAOC, I pulled the headlight and checked the plug. Sure enough, with the clip side of the plug facing me, the wires were Black - Blue - Red. According to the GAOC thread, switching the black and the blue wires around should fix the issue. I'll be doing that tomorrow and I'll post an update when I'm done. Hope it works...

Oh, and I did see the halo lit up now that it's dark. I believe you when you said they were dim but damn...those are barely even enough light to say that they are on. I'd be interested in seeing a how-to on changing those LEDs if you get the chance to write one.
its too bad about the halo's and the wiring, I am glad mine did not have those problems, and the halos on mine are fairly bright. where did you order from, I will be sure not to order from there.

FuriousG
03-22-2009, 02:43 AM
My auction was the one I linked to in the original post. I don't think it's so much the seller's fault as it is the manufacturer. I think most of these aftermarket lights come from teh same place and the e-Bay shops are selling what they think is a direct fit replacement. The Taiwanese company that makes these must have the wrong wiring diagrams for the 9007 socket since it looks like they've made this mistake on more than one version of Grand Am headlights.

I'll be swapping my wires around today and I'll hopefully have some good news and a few pics taken once I'm done.

pontga00
03-22-2009, 07:18 AM
I swapped the wires last night and the high beam indicator is gone. Swapping out the led's is easy. You'll see three different spots around the halo (on the backside of the headlight) that have a black and white wire going into it. These rubber things just pop right out and you can replace the led.

FuriousG
03-22-2009, 09:09 AM
I swapped the wires last night and the high beam indicator is gone. Swapping out the led's is easy. You'll see three different spots around the halo (on the backside of the headlight) that have a black and white wire going into it. These rubber things just pop right out and you can replace the led.

Awesome, I'll have to try the LED swap next. Just have to order some LED's...

I just finished putting my lights back in after swapping the wires (and throwing a bead of hot glue around the entire lens to seal it better) and now they work exactly as they were supposed to. I'll be going out tonight once the kids are in bed and making the final adjustments to my aiming. These lights already look as though they fit better than my stock or black housing ones did. It's a subtle yet aggresive looking change. I love the new look and I'll be posting pics soon.

(I used the green text for anyone who may be searching and looking for a definite answer. Hopefully this will help others so that they don't have to take the lights back out and figure out the problem like I did.)

tenspeed
03-22-2009, 01:15 PM

I have my halos wired to a separate switch so I can turn them on whenever. You won't see much from any LED if the low beams are on.