Trunk opens by itself?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Trunk opens by itself??

Plug
03-21-2009, 05:55 PM
So some of you may have read my recent post on replacing the battery and the altenater. Now the trunk opens when we close the driver's side door. Even after the car has been parked for a few minutes it opens. After shutting the car off, closing the door and making sure the trunk is closed and walking away it still opens by itself.

Like WTF is going on here??

The car is a 1999 GAGT 4dr

PhantomLover007
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Sounds like a fuse maybe.

Mike Jung
03-21-2009, 06:15 PM
A low battery voltage spike can cause the trunk to pop open.

PS: Slide the switch in your trunk to lock, to disable the remote power trunk release.
Then you will have to use your key to open the trunk.

Plug
03-21-2009, 06:39 PM
What might cause a low voltage?? I just put in a new alt and battery.

RPO3
03-22-2009, 04:11 AM
Yea deff never heard of that before

pauljs75
03-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I'd say there's a short in the trunk release circuit inside that door. Either that or a bad switch that closes the circuit when slamming the door. (I know some people use the fob so much, they fail to realize there's also a button on the driver's door. It's low enough to be out of sight unless the door is open.) Until you figure it out, just use the switch on the trunk latch like Mike said so the remote release is disabled until you fix the actual cause of the problem.

I also had some annoying neighbor around the corner with a GM car who had the same trunk release frequency. They thought that s*** was funny as they walked or drived by, but their stupid game ended quickly since I knew how to disable it. (They gave up after it stopped working for them. Luckily their remote didn't match for the doors though. They're also lucky I'm nice enough not to return the favor, although the thought was tempting.) I doubt if that would be your case though.

Plug
03-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah i know it's probly not a common problem but I promise I'll post a fix when I find the solution.

Mike Jung
03-22-2009, 05:58 PM
A low battery voltage spike can cause the trunk to pop open...
It's funny that no one beleives me lol

Can someone who does alarm/remote start/remote door locks installs look up their spec sheets ?

The power remote trunk is a negative trigger.

If the voltage is low & spikes down & up: the trunk will pop open.
(If there is a ground fault in the wiring, it will also.)

What might cause a low voltage?? I just put in a new alt and battery.
Have your new battery load checked.

It might be bad. Or not charged.

vd5505
03-22-2009, 07:04 PM
take your door panel apart and disable the button in your door and go from there just do one thing at a time till you have it narrowed down to whats wrong.

Grandamgtblk99
03-22-2009, 07:11 PM
It's funny that no one beleives me lol

Can someone who does alarm/remote start/remote door locks installs look up their spec sheets ?

The power remote trunk is a negative trigger.

If the voltage is low & spikes down & up: the trunk will pop open.
(If there is a ground fault in the wiring, it will also.)

I believe you Mike. Its happened to me when my battery drained. My headlights also flashed and things went crazy in the car. You are absolutely right.

OP you need to check your battery.

Mike Jung
03-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I believe you Mike. Its happened to me when my battery drained. My headlights also flashed and things went crazy in the car. You are absolutely right.

OP you need to check your battery.
I know...lol

I had it happen to me, when my stock AC Delco battery was weak & going.

My Clifford alarm system would run down the battery.
My Clifford would lock the relays/immoblizers.
& the trunk would pop open.
= me need a tow home to recharge the battery, to unlock the alarm system.

iceman
03-22-2009, 07:22 PM
Try suggestions already stated.. also agree could be some kind of short, take off the door panel and look.

Or hopefully you don't have the problem I had where the BCM was full of water and random things like trunk popping, horn honking, whatever would occur while driving down the block...

Ajaxus
03-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Or hopefully you don't have the problem I had where the BCM was full of water and random things like trunk popping, horn honking, whatever would occur while driving down the block...

Video or ban? :angel

Mike Jung
03-22-2009, 07:26 PM
...Or hopefully you don't have the problem I had where the BCM was full of water and random things like trunk popping, horn honking, whatever would occur while driving down the block...

Video or ban? :angel
newbie.

Ask him about, how he schooled the dealer that put a new BCM in his GA ?

LMAO lol ;)

PhantomLover007
03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Did you A.J. it Seth?.. lollol

Plug
03-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure where you guys are going with this thread but whatever. For now I just disabled the auto trunk release and will use a key until I gets time to trouble shoot it.

The JoKeR
03-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I didn't read all the responses, but I had this same problem for a while. I took off the door panel on the driver's side and noticed that the plug for the trunk pop button was actually loose. I wiggled it around before pushing it back in all the way and that was the problem.

Plug
03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
I suspet that may be the problem here too Joker. I just recently replaced the window clips on ther drivers door and that involves disconnecting & connecting the trunk release clip. I have been to busy to care about taking the door panel off.

finkbmx
03-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, I had the same problem a couple years ago, my trunk popped open when i was driving down the road. I checked my rear view and was like wtf wheres the road? I closed it and then it happened again a couple weeks later when i was getting in my car. I flipped the switch on the trunk release and it obviously stopped the problem but i want my trunk release back, i hate needing the key to open it all the time. So you guys think taking the door panel off and checking the connections will give me the answer? I was planning on putting in some speakers anyway so i may just do that at the same time.

KhellendrosxS
03-27-2009, 05:49 AM
It wont hurt to at least check.

Plug
08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I still have not been able to solve the problem. I guess I'll try and disco the switch in behind the door panel and see if it still does it.

burgett2103
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
lol you gots a problem there. at least your trunk doesn't have a puddle of water in the spare tire well

PhantomLover007
08-20-2009, 01:34 PM
lol you gots a problem there. at least your trunk doesn't have a puddle of water in the spare tire well

He will if it pops open in a rain storm while on the highway and doesn't realize it...

burgett2103
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
haha well idk if it would do that since you can't pop the trunk while in drive.. but it is messed up so it very well possibly could

burgett2103
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
and ruin the subs baahahha

zukiracer19
08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Mine did this everytime i put key to on to start my car when my alternator was going

rocketfast123
08-20-2009, 07:46 PM
your BCM might have water in it.

pongagt
02-21-2010, 01:40 PM
I had the same problem with the trunk opening by itself. I unplugged the connector to the latch for now but my alarm is still going off saying the trunk is open. I just had the door panel off replacing the window regulator so my trunk release switch connector might be loose. I'm also trying to figure out what makes the trunk light come on and trigger my alarm. I'm thinking it is related to the trunk opening by itself.

2000 GT Coupe
02-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I wrote this in another thread today. I found that the screw that goes in to hold the arm rest is very close to the wiring for the trunk release. The screw nicked the wire and intermittently grounds it causing the trunk to pop. I moved the wires just slightly and wrapped them and never had a problem again.

pongagt
02-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow, Thanks, what a strange discovery. It must have been driving you nuts. I'll bet that is my problem since it just started happening after putting my door panel back on. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I don't know what triggered my alarm's trunk sensor today with the latch unplugged though. My alarm negative trigger is hooked to the orange/black trunk light wire. I have another trigger wire coming from my alarm back-up battery system hooked to the same negative trigger so maybe that is a separate problem unrelated to my trunk popping open. I'm going to pull the trunk latch and take a look at the light switch in it.

2000 GT Coupe
02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
I wrote this in another thread today. I found that the screw that goes in to hold the arm rest is very close to the wiring for the trunk release. The screw nicked the wire and intermittently grounds it causing the trunk to pop. I moved the wires just slightly and wrapped them and never had a problem again.

Wow, Thanks, what a strange discovery. It must have been driving you nuts. I'll bet that is my problem since it just started happening after putting my door panel back on. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I don't know what triggered my alarm's trunk sensor today with the latch unplugged though. My alarm negative trigger is hooked to the orange/black trunk light wire. I have another trigger wire coming from my alarm back-up battery system hooked to the same negative trigger so maybe that is a separate problem unrelated to my trunk popping open. I'm going to pull the trunk latch and take a look at the light switch in it.

I wonder if the alarm reading is not related to the wire shorting. because even if the button is unplugged the wire behind the panel still can short.

pongagt
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't know if the button shorting will effect the wire for the orange/black trunk light wire. I'll have to check a schematic from the manual or my car repair software. I switched buttons earlier today with a spare i had and the alarm has not gone off again so maybe the wire was shorting and it is ok now. I'm going to take it apart again and check the wire. This time i plugged the connector in the latch and used the switch to turn the release off.

GA#2
02-24-2010, 05:06 AM
I think this is my first official post!

I have the trunk problem and my power locks are also doing what they want when they feel like it. I don't have keyless entry. I thought it was BCM related, so I recently picked up another one. My trunk hasn't popped lately (BCM switched a week ago), but my locks are still buggy. Do you guys think I should also check my connectors? I got so frustrated with it that I just pulled my fuses.

zukiracer19
02-24-2010, 06:46 AM
mine did this when i would turn the key on when my battery was shot, i just took it in and exchanged it.. love lifetime warranties lol

PhantomLover007
02-24-2010, 06:53 AM
The trunk monkey has to be let out every once in a while....

pongagt
02-25-2010, 06:27 PM
I think this is my first official post!

I have the trunk problem and my power locks are also doing what they want when they feel like it. I don't have keyless entry. I thought it was BCM related, so I recently picked up another one. My trunk hasn't popped lately (BCM switched a week ago), but my locks are still buggy. Do you guys think I should also check my connectors? I got so frustrated with it that I just pulled my fuses.

Look at a schematic for the power locks and you should be able to figure out what it would take for the locks to open. I think they are programmable too so you might have to reprogram them after installing a new bcm.

Pauljp
11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah i know it's probly not a common problem but I promise I'll post a fix when I find the solution.

Well, it's been 9 months... Did you eventually find a solution ?