Hypothetical Question.... sort of. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question.... sort of.

InDaZone
03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Say you get your LIM gasket repaired. (Supposedly a new one gets installed). Then 2 weeks later you find out it's leaking again.

Does this mean a brand new one has to be put in again, or can the one that was just installed be salvaged?

I just had mine supposedly fixed 2 weeks ago, this weekend i went to GoodYear Auto Service to have my serpentine belt replaced, and they told me I was leaking coolant, and it's coming from my LIM gasket.

I'm wondering if I take my car back to the place, is the guy who did the original work going to have to put another one back in or can he just somehow adjust the one that's in there?

I really just want to ask for my money back and take it somewhere else.

Nick-G
03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Say you get your LIM gasket repaired. (Supposedly a new one gets installed). Then 2 weeks later you find out it's leaking again.

Does this mean a brand new one has to be put in again, or can the one that was just installed be salvaged?

I just had mine supposedly fixed 2 weeks ago, this weekend i went to GoodYear Auto Service to have my serpentine belt replaced, and they told me I was leaking coolant, and it's coming from my LIM gasket.

I'm wondering if I take my car back to the place, is the guy who did the original work going to have to put another one back in or can he just somehow adjust the one that's in there?

I really just want to ask for my money back and take it somewhere else.

If it started to leak again that probably means it was installed wrong I would go back to where it was installed since you shouldn't have to pay for their mistake.

InDaZone
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm thinking I should just ask for my money back and find another place. I just talked to a guy, and he said that the new gasket will have to be replaced cause it's sealed or something.

Lab Rat
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I doubt you get your money back. BTW, most of the cost is labor.

lvemy3100
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

as much as I hate to agree on this ... x2

InDaZone
03-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Why wouldn't I get my money back? I paid him to fix something and he didn't fix it?

I'll go straight to the better business bureau.

AaronGTR
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Why wouldn't I get my money back? I paid him to fix something and he didn't fix it?

I'll go straight to the better business bureau.

That still doesn't mean you'll get your money back.

If it's a reputable shop with good business practices, they would warranty their work and give you at least a partial refund if their repair failed... of course if they were a good shop it shouldn't have failed after two weeks anyway. My bet is he didn't use the right thread lock and didn't torque the bolts properly. Anyway if he doesn't give you your money back, all the better business bureau will do is take your complaint and put it in a file for that business, and anyone who actually takes the time to look up that business will see it. They can't force him to give you a refund.

cardude007617
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
why ask for a refund? just have him fix it again, correctly though...

InDaZone
03-23-2009, 07:34 PM
why ask for a refund? just have him fix it again, correctly though...

The last time he had the car, he had it for 5 days. I had to call off of work for 2 days. Plus I'm a full time student so I had to find a ride to school. I want to take it to people who already said they can get it done in a day.

And why should i believe he will fix it right if he didn't the first time? It seems like he didn't know what he was doing if he torqued everything wrong.

PhantomLover007
03-23-2009, 07:52 PM
You could always ask the shop to have nother one of their service guys fix it. It would be the least that they owe you.

350rs
03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
why dont you do it yourself? its not a difficult thing, label connections if you dont know where they go, and just stay clean as possible. do you have weekends off? or one full day? it can be done in a few hours.

plastic_indian
03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Make certain it actually *is* still leaking. Perhaps it was a slow day at GoodYear, and somebody thought a nice 6 hour intake job was just what they needed to salvage a lousy day -- wouldn't be the first time. Or perhaps the first tech simply did not clean away the coolant puddles and the Goodyear tech noticed and figured he hit paydirt. If it legitimately *is* still leaking, by all means seek recourse, but don't just assume that tech A screwed up and tech B is correct.

InDaZone
03-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Make certain it actually *is* still leaking. Perhaps it was a slow day at GoodYear, and somebody thought a nice 6 hour intake job was just what they needed to salvage a lousy day -- wouldn't be the first time. Or perhaps the first tech simply did not clean away the coolant puddles and the Goodyear tech noticed and figured he hit paydirt. If it legitimately *is* still leaking, by all means seek recourse, but don't just assume that tech A screwed up and tech B is correct.

Well the GoodYear guy did mention that it's possible that they just didn't clean up properly, but when he pointed it out to me, it definitely looked like fresh coolant sitting there.

The other part that bothers me, is my coolant looks like mud... and supposedly it was flushed when it was fixed. To me, it looks like they just dumped more coolant in after it was drained.