3400 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 3400

dattman_20
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
some one told me that all 3.4l were the same. i was just woundering if that was true and if so does anyone know what other cars have 3.4's

lastyear4gt
03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Dude wrong section!

AaronGTR
03-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Nope, there used to be iron head 3.4L v6's with distributor ignitions in rwd camaros. There have been a lot of changes over the years. 60degreev6.com used to have a complete family tree on the site, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway, your basic block design started out as the chevy 2.8L carburated V6 with a 60 degree angle between the cylinder banks. It later turned into the 3.1L and 3.4L iron head motors. At some point they changed it to a roller cam setup with roller tip hydraulic lash lifters instead of flat tappet. They also switched to Aluminum heads later. Yours is a third gen engine with AL heads with splayed valves, self aligning rockers with roller fulcrums, and of course the distributor-less ignition system and fuel injection. There was also a dual overhead cam 3.4L engine back in the 90's, and now there are 3.5L and 3.9L pushrod engines, the newest versions having variable cam timing on the single cam, and the newest 60 degree engine is the 3.5L DOHC engine in the top of the line G6's and Malibu's. Of course that engine bares no resemblance to the original anymore except the angle between the cylinder banks.

Basically you can tell the person who told you that, that there are actually three different 3.4L V6's that GM made.

gectek
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Nope, there used to be iron head 3.4L v6's with distributor AND dist/less ignitions in rwd camaros. There have been a lot of changes over the years. 60degreev6.com used to have a complete family tree on the site, but I can't seem to find it now. Anyway, your basic block design started out as the chevy 2.8L carburated V6 with a 60 degree angle between the cylinder banks. It later turned into the 3.1L and 3.4L iron head motors. At some point they changed it to a roller cam setup with roller tip hydraulic lash lifters instead of flat tappet. They also switched to Aluminum heads later. Yours is a third gen engine with AL heads with splayed valves, self aligning rockers with roller fulcrums, and of course the distributor-less ignition system and fuel injection. There was also a dual overhead cam 3.4L engine back in the 90's, and now there are 3.5L and 3.9L pushrod engines, the newest versions having variable cam timing on the single cam, and the newest 60 degree engine is the 3.6L DOHC engine in the top of the line G6's and Malibu's with port fuel injection. The Direct injected 3.6 comes in the caddy and the new camaro. The DI 3.6 is more of a RWD engine, and the port fuel is more of a FWD style. Dont know why they do no intermix them. Of course that engine bares no resemblance to the original anymore except the angle between the cylinder banks.

Basically you can tell the person who told you that, that there are actually three different 3.4L V6's that GM made.

fisked

RPO3
03-23-2009, 07:14 PM
I love Aaron's responses no homo...
Hes full of info

stillriza
03-23-2009, 09:26 PM
I love Aaron's responses no homo...
Hes full of info

he is like a wikipedia of engines info

gectek
03-23-2009, 10:00 PM
so if i edited wiki, what does that make me?

04GrandAM SC/T
03-23-2009, 10:10 PM
AaronGTR is genius lol

AaronGTR
03-24-2009, 06:31 AM
so if i edited wiki, what does that make me?

except you edited the part at the beginning about the distributor in the rwd camaros. They only had the iron head motors in them when they used the 60v6 and none of those had distributorless ignitions. That didn't come out until the gen 3 engines, and by the time the camaro/firebird started using V6's with distributorless ignitions they were using 3800's, not 60v6's. ;)

Anyway, I never said I was giving him a 100% all facts included outline. As I said the family tree on 60v6 seems to be missing, and that's too much info to remember all by yourself. If it was up, I would have just given him a link to that instead of wasting my time typing all that.

AaronGTR is genius lol

Far from it. I've just been around a long time and picked up a few things.

gectek
03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
except you edited the part at the beginning about the distributor in the rwd camaros. They only had the iron head motors in them when they used the 60v6 and none of those had distributorless ignitions. That didn't come out until the gen 3 engines, and by the time the camaro/firebird started using V6's with distributorless ignitions they were using 3800's, not 60v6's. ;)

Anyway, I never said I was giving him a 100% all facts included outline. As I said the family tree on 60v6 seems to be missing, and that's too much info to remember all by yourself. If it was up, I would have just given him a link to that instead of wasting my time typing all that.

Far from it. I've just been around a long time and picked up a few things.

umm maybe you have not looked at the Fbody iron head engines in a while, so let me refresh your memory please explain why a dist ignition uses 3 coil packs. thanks. and i just happened to have edited the rest of the post where you were incorrect again. sorry. i hilighted it.
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2810/coils.th.png (http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coils.png)

also, to my knowledge there is not a single 3.4 or 3400 that runs a dizzy from the factory. 3.1 did, but thats a 3.1.

AaronGTR
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Well excuse me. I didn't know they ever put that system on the iron head 3.4L. That was the L32 engine and it was only in the F body for 3 years before they switched to the 3800 for base models in '96. It's kinda hard to find info for those engines now since the 60v6.com wiki is missing. About the most complete thing you can find is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_60-Degree_V6_engine and it includes very little about the specifics of the engine.

gectek
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, i would not have edited your post to include that had i now known. Have you ever known me to NOT back up anything i say? Like on the raybestos clutches...that was a larger fiasco than this, but it got cleared up.

Resume thread

AaronGTR
03-25-2009, 05:37 PM
It's cool, I understand. :)

gectek
03-25-2009, 05:39 PM
maybe i can get you hooked up with an underdrive/overdrive balancer for a good price to ease the pain...:).

Malaclypse
03-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh, Gectek, GM Is actually shoveling the 3.6 SIDI engine into FWD applications. Read: Enclave and Acadia.

gectek
03-25-2009, 05:45 PM
yah, but who cares about those? hah. i knew that, but just showed the more common car related apps