Abs/trac off/service vehicle soon [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Abs/trac off/service vehicle soon

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
So ive had these lights all go off a couple times now while driving on the freeway but ive noticed that only when i drive close to 80mph is when these lights go on. Last night when driving home i noticed that around 70-75 mph i could feel a sorta rhythm like feeling coming from wheels like i could feel them rolling then a sorta vibration from wheels and kept going for as long as i kept my speed around 70 and once i got close 80 all my lights went on..

What you guys think it is?????

ryanbgb22
03-24-2009, 03:47 PM
wheel bearing. try a search.

gandolf77
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
First, you might try replacing the end of the wiring that plugs into your bearing. I learned this the hard way after $700 of wheel bearing replacements didn't turn those lights off. Those contacts get oxidated pretty good cuz dirt & salt from the road is bad down at the wheel. You can find plugs that fit on there in the engine bay, and they haven't been subject to salt & dirt so much. They're easy to find by looking at 'em. They fit exactly. I got some from a junkyard for free, and my lights went off once i replaced them. I replaced the plugs along with maybe 18 inches of wire. The wires i replaced were actually coroded on the inside of the insulation.
A test you can do is listen for a rubbing sound when you steer to the left or right. If there's a rubbing noise, then your bearings are probably bad. If not, then try the thing i mentioned, & use some dielectric grease. good luck man

jrgong
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Most definitely a wheel bearing issue. I've learned firsthand (after about 6 wheel bearings) that GA's and Aleros tend to chew through them pretty easily.

Interesting idea gandolf... you could also try applying some anti-ox compound on the connectors after using a contact cleaner or something.

Try this How-To link for info on doing the replacement yourself (not too difficult).
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41086

HaVoK~DOGZ~
03-26-2009, 02:56 PM
thanks guys

sausyb
03-26-2009, 09:36 PM
i have my traction light and my abs light on. my wheel bearing is fine though. its the abs sensor in the bearing. but if your hearing like a woow woow noise its definatly a bearing.

Afridlund
04-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Hi,

We recently had our car scanned and it comes up that wheel sensor is bad. The exact reading was "code 1223,1224 left rear and right rear speed sensor code 1224 exessive wheel speed sensor variation left front code". I figured that meant the left front is bad, but don't know if that means the rear ones are too.

Is there a way to know without taking and paying additional money to have diagnosed?

Thanks!

GrandAmMe
04-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Hi,

We recently had our car scanned and it comes up that wheel sensor is bad. The exact reading was "code 1223,1224 left rear and right rear speed sensor code 1224 exessive wheel speed sensor variation left front code". I figured that meant the left front is bad, but don't know if that means the rear ones are too.

Is there a way to know without taking and paying additional money to have diagnosed?

Thanks!
Listen for a Humming sound when driving. That i the other way to find out aswell.

RPO3
04-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Funny i just posted this same prob 2 days ago. I hear the "woow woow" noise up from
up front haha so im thinking I am going to have to replace them both. Does anyone have
a link to a good deal on bearings, front left and right?

HaVoK~DOGZ~
04-23-2009, 07:10 PM
i got mine on ebay from am auto parts both front hubs set for 110 shipped.. got them today. took only three days to get here by ups.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110369043615&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=

westerndragon
04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
i paid $45 each for both front hubs from Napa auto parts

i never buy car parts online because all it takes is one idiot to transpose a part number and then gl geting your $$ back

at least at a part store you can look before you leap :-)

RPO3
04-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys

Afridlund
04-26-2009, 11:51 AM
My husband is currently testing the sensors (from info. given somewhere on this site).

I read the "how to" on how to change the wheel hub bearing and printed out for him to read, but we have a question.

In the post, it states, "It is always recommended that you tighten all bolts to torque specs", and that the person will "post all torque specs if requested", but I cannot reply to that "how to thread". So, can someone please help me out with what the specs are for a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE?

Thanks so very much!

westerndragon
04-26-2009, 03:48 PM
70 ft lbs for hub bolts

Afridlund
04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
70 ft lbs for hub bolts

Thanks