99 grand am gt coupe engine fan problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 grand am gt coupe engine fan problem

bouji1
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
hey guys, first off cool forum i'm new to the site. i live in macomb mi and i just got my grand am about two weeks ago:leg:leg. ok so now the problem. my engine coolin fans dont seem to come on at all. i dont know why. i know the car is ram air so do the fans spin when i drive the car or what:confused::confused:. i just got my liscense and this is my first car. as soon as i sat in her i knew i had to have her.and also i was wonder if there was anyone near bye that could look over my car with me that knows about the grand ams and tell me if anythings wrong and what to watch for again i'm in macomb michigan. i want to be skilled and know alot about the car. i mean it has BaLlS! and i love it

Deltabravo03
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
The engine cooling fans only come on when the engine hits a specifice degree. It could not be working for many reasons. I would first cheak if your engine coolant gauge is working. If thats working then i would cheak if there is power thats being given to the fan motor itself. ( simple volts test) if theres no power, then it could possibly be a cut wire or a wire thats full of rust. If there is power then its your fan motor thats bad. ANyways try those thing and tell me what your resualts are!! good luck

bouji1
03-24-2009, 09:18 PM
thanks alot man i'm so in the dark here. i just went for about a half hour ride and they didn't come on. how do i check the if the engine coolant guage is working? all help appreciated bro!

timberwoof
03-24-2009, 09:37 PM
check to make sure the fans spin freely when the engine is off. On of my fan motors went out and seized up.

Mike Jung
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
Here is when the engine coolant fans are suppose to come on:
The PCM commands Low Speed Fans ON under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106C (223F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kPa (190 psi).
The vehicle is shut off when the engine coolant temperature is greater than 140C (284F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay ON for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

The engine coolant temperature reaches 110C (230F).
The A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kPa (240 psi).
When certain DTCs set.

bouji1
03-24-2009, 09:58 PM
well my engine doesnt go much past 200 degrees faranheit. so how can i test them? can i just turn on my ac and drive or what because they dont turn on when my cars off. but it is cold its about 40-50 degeres F here.

silverbullet51
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
unless your engine is overheating now, I wouldn't worry about your fans until it gets warmer out- 65 degrees at least