Paint or remove lettering on steering wheel buttons [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Paint or remove lettering on steering wheel buttons

finkbmx
03-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Hello, this is my first post. Basically i just put in a pioneer head unit, DEH-P7000BT into my 2000 grand am gt1 and its awesome. It has bluetooth that pairs to my phone and does everything i need. to regain the steering wheel controls i used the pac swi-ps and it works flawlessly. However, i remapped the am/fm and preset buttons to answer and end call and the play button to source. works perfectly but, being picky, id like to relabel the buttons. Does anyone know an easy way to either scrub off the lettering so i can either stencil the symbols on there or take them off to repaint them. If anyone has any other ideas of things that i can do please feel free, i am very open to suggestions. Thanks alot.

stillriza
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Try a mr. clean magic eraser. I know it scrubbed off the lettering off my old head unit.

jrgong
03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
I agree. You can do almost anything with a Magic Eraser.

If you do decide to repaint it, just make sure to do a decent job with a clear varnish afterward so that all of your effort isn't in vain after a few months of use.

finkbmx
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, just wondering, anyone know how to pop off the button covers? do they just pop off with a screwdriver or am i gonna get an airbag in the face? I have ordered some clear poly waterproof labels which i will try but i have a feeling that they wont hold up or look as clean as stenciling the design and clear coating it.

KhellendrosxS
03-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Carefully wedge a screwdriver in beside the radio controls (black and gray, not gray and gray) and pry towards you, the whole thing pops right out of the wheel. Once youve poped them out you will see some wires that need to be unplugged and then you can separate the buttons from the circuit board by pressing in on some tabs.

finkbmx
03-26-2009, 11:14 PM
what do you mean black and gray not gray and gray? Also, does anyone know if you can change the bulbs inside them so they light up different colors? And i havent tried scrubbing the labels off but they are backlit with the word. if i scrub the lettering off wont there still be the knock out of the finish that still says the word? thanks

KhellendrosxS
03-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Insert your screwdriver to pry them out between the black part of the wheel and the gray part of the button insert. Dont try to pry the buttons out of the gray part with it still in the wheel (gray and gray).

As for changing the colors they have some kind of tiny LED's behind there that would have to be desoldered from the board to change the color. The finish is just like all the other buttons on the GA, painted. The letters are also painted on but there is a gray coat applied over the base coat to make the letters opaque.

finkbmx
03-28-2009, 03:56 AM
I know i should probably open the buttons up to answer this, are the Led's in the button white and the button cover is red like the hvac knobs or is the led red itself. If the led is white then i might be able to figure something out as far as changing the color or at least etch out the symbols from the paint of the button cover.

PhantomLover007
03-28-2009, 09:43 AM
They're white. Some folks have used a blue cellophane type stuff to change the colors of the lights instead of changing out the lights themselves.

finkbmx
03-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Oh really? can you point me to a thread that talks about that? is the plastic of the button red or can they be completely cleared? Thanks for all the info so far!

KhellendrosxS
03-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Hmmm, mine were clear but they light up red but its pretty dim compared to the rest of the lights in the car.

finkbmx
03-29-2009, 07:47 AM
is clearing them the same as for the hvac knobs? heat gun etc?

PhantomLover007
03-29-2009, 12:24 PM
More than likely, yeah.

burgett2103
03-29-2009, 10:34 PM
ok i took the hvac knobs off and they are red underneath. i saw pictures how people have it that clear red color. how do you remove the outer coating on them?

finkbmx
03-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Heres the site with the instructions
http://evicerator.com/cars/grandam.html

finkbmx
03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Okay so instead of trying this stuff that could potentially ruin my controls, i bought a set of controls on ebay for 15 bucks with free shipping. Pic Attached. so my question mainly for KhellendrosxS is am i supposed to remove the housing from my car like in the pic or just the buttons, i took a look yesterday and the black/gray thing doesn't really make sense cuz everything is kinda gray. if i pry between the gusset looking thing and the steering wheel material and remove basically whats in the pic will it mess anything up? i figure these controls were from a totaled car so i dont think the owner was caring whether or not it wrecked the wheel. Thanks

burgett2103
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
hey thanks man

burgett2103
03-30-2009, 09:44 PM
oh by the way does it light up red or do you have to put lights in there

finkbmx
04-02-2009, 04:46 PM
So i found out that the LED inside the controls must be red because the buttons are clear with a white knockout for the lettering and opaque gray around. As for the hvac knobs if you were asking abotu that i know the knobs are red plastic underneath the gray paint i dont know if the lights are red also, i dont think so though.

PhantomLover007
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
So i found out that the LED inside the controls must be red because the buttons are clear with a white knockout for the lettering and opaque gray around. As for the hvac knobs if you were asking abotu that i know the knobs are red plastic underneath the gray paint i dont know if the lights are red also, i dont think so though.

No. The lights are not red. They're white under the HVAC face.