sludge in coolant tank... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : sludge in coolant tank...

Mattz
03-26-2009, 05:45 PM
ok just was checking under the hood I opend the coolant tank lid to notice sludge build up on the inside of the tank.. also a bit under the cap. the coolant is fairly new I replaced my water pump maybe 6-8 months ago.. what is this caused by? how do I correct this problem? is this a problem..

AaronGTR
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
That usually happens with older dexcool, but sometimes still with newer coolants (but not as much). It's caused by exposure of the hot coolant to air. The sludge forms where they meet. You just have to make sure all the air is properly bled out of the system. Did you do a complete coolant flush and add all new coolant when you changed the pump? If not, you should probably do that. If you did, then you can try just removing the reservoir and flushing that out with a hose. Replace, re-fill, and then bleed all the air out. You usually have to let the car warm up and cool down several times and add coolant everytime. Make sure to open the bleeder screws on the coolant tower and thermostat housing/neck the first time too. 2-3 times should do it, then just check the coolant level after you drive it a couple times too, to make sure it hasn't worked any more air out of the system and gone down again.

Mattz
03-26-2009, 05:59 PM
thanks,

sausyb
03-26-2009, 10:32 PM
i was wondering about switching to green coolant? would that fix the sludge build up? my buddy has a grand prix, he switched to green coolant. and the cooling system is better then its ever been, he says.

lone_wolf025
03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
i was wondering about switching to green coolant? would that fix the sludge build up? my buddy has a grand prix, he switched to green coolant. and the cooling system is better then its ever been, he says.

You'd have to have a thorough flush of all the dexcool (preferably by the professional machines) and you'd have a shortened maintenance schedule on it, but it wouldn't hurt anything...provided you don't expect it to last 100k miles on one filling of coolant.

AaronGTR
03-27-2009, 06:02 PM

The color doesn't actually matter. They have long life coolant now that is green too. The difference is in the anti-corrosion and lubrication additives. The old stuff (which was all green) used silicone based corrosion inhibitors. The new stuff uses organic acid based corrosion inhibitors.

You can actually mix the two and it won't hurt anything. It's just that once you switch to the silicone based stuff, you have to change the coolant every three years, and even if you switch back to long life coolant you can't leave it in for 5 years. The silicone additives bond to the surfaces inside your engine. There is no difference in the cooling properties of the two, and the new stuff is better all around, so personally I wouldn't change it. It's getting hard to find the old style coolant at any stores anyway.