00 GAGT bad CD player [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00 GAGT bad CD player

AuroraGuy
03-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Not sure where this belongs, but my CD player stopped working.
The dealer told me they would swap it for a 'refurbed' unit for around $250.

I know I can get a nice Alpine or similar for a lot less, but I prefer the look (and theft deterrent) of the OEM radio.

Does anyone have a better source? - Ebay is a crap shoot, since these things seem to die after a few years, so unless Aunt Tilly had this radio and never used the CD part of it..it is likely it would die soon too.

Thanks guys-

DrFabulous
03-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Not sure where this belongs, but my CD player stopped working.
The dealer told me they would swap it for a 'refurbed' unit for around $250.

I know I can get a nice Alpine or similar for a lot less, but I prefer the look (and theft deterrent) of the OEM radio.

Does anyone have a better source? - Ebay is a crap shoot, since these things seem to die after a few years, so unless Aunt Tilly had this radio and never used the CD part of it..it is likely it would die soon too.

Thanks guys-

Any place that sells used parts is going to have the same failure rate with the factory radios (which isn't that high, actually). Best bet is to just keep looking on ebay or watch the for sale area here.... but most people (myself included) keep their stock radio so they can put it back to stock later.

AuroraGuy
03-29-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks..
I am keeping this car until it falls apart, which being a GM, has already happened many times over. I have had the same issues that most others have had.
But, this is a good looking car. I am not impressed with anything else out there..

So,

In April, I am going to have the dealer repair the LIM leak..so far its only external but its just a matter of time. I found a tech that I like and trust and he has done so many of these...

I was debating on trading the car in while it still had some value to it, but I just dont want a dam car payment...so I have opted to repair whatever is wrong with this car (that I havent already done) and the radio was next on the list.

AM/FM works great - just the CD part is shot. I have been living with it like that for 3yrs now....

The best part of enjoying this car was on xmas eve. My driver's window FELL INTO THE DOOR. (broken plastic clips) - I was able to get some parts 1hr before the dealer closed. I then replaced the other side, figuring it wasnt far along and it wasnt. One was already cracked!

I will keep looking for a radio, or just suck it up and pay the $$ at the stealership.

Thanks,

DrFabulous
03-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks..
I am keeping this car until it falls apart, which being a GM, has already happened many times over. I have had the same issues that most others have had.
But, this is a good looking car. I am not impressed with anything else out there..

So,

In April, I am going to have the dealer repair the LIM leak..so far its only external but its just a matter of time. I found a tech that I like and trust and he has done so many of these...

I was debating on trading the car in while it still had some value to it, but I just dont want a dam car payment...so I have opted to repair whatever is wrong with this car (that I havent already done) and the radio was next on the list.

AM/FM works great - just the CD part is shot. I have been living with it like that for 3yrs now....

The best part of enjoying this car was on xmas eve. My driver's window FELL INTO THE DOOR. (broken plastic clips) - I was able to get some parts 1hr before the dealer closed. I then replaced the other side, figuring it wasnt far along and it wasnt. One was already cracked!

I will keep looking for a radio, or just suck it up and pay the $$ at the stealership.

Thanks,

Whatever you do, I wouldn't pay $250 for a refurbished stock head unit. That is ridiculous. You could buy 5 used ones for that price easily, or a decent aftermarket deck for around $125 and then spend $50-$75 (could be wrong on this, its been 5 years since I've bought one lol) on wiring harness and an adapter to fit in the stock location.

AuroraGuy
03-29-2009, 08:01 AM
I hear ya....

Crutchfield offers free harnesses. I had an alpine in there a few years ago.
It worked great, but I was so paranoid about theft....

My kid had the same deck (removable face plate) and didnt remove the face and of course it got stolen.

:banghead:banghead

AN_ICON
03-29-2009, 08:03 AM
hey i got one ill sell you for $50 plus shipping works great .

DrFabulous
03-29-2009, 08:06 AM
I hear ya....

Crutchfield offers free harnesses. I had an alpine in there a few years ago.
It worked great, but I was so paranoid about theft....

My kid had the same deck (removable face plate) and didnt remove the face and of course it got stolen.

:banghead:banghead

I've never had my GA touched..... even though my car is obviously modded, and I park on the street in a major city. If its not at my house, I'll hide the faceplate in the glove box, otherwise, I don't care.

AN_ICON
03-29-2009, 08:12 AM
hey email me @a_thiel73@yahoo.com