180 degree tstat (yea or naa?) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 180 degree tstat (yea or naa?)

Izzy
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm thinking about putting the 180 degree tstat in my GAGT and was wondering if anyone has any input on it. Anyone have any problems with these?

PhantomLover007
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
I have one, but haven't put it in yet. If you aren't having temp or LIM issues, yet I see no point in changing it yet unless you really want to.

rocketfast123
03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
agree keep the stock 195

OneFstGt
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I got 180 in mine but i have a tuned Pcm thats really the only reason.

KhellendrosxS
03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Your car will get better gas mileage with the stock t-stat. It was desinged to be at that temp, unless you have a lot of supporting mods that are generating heat and/or you are trying to reduce knock (even though thats an old way of doing it) theres no point IMO.

FromTheInside
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I have one and my gas mileage is exactly the same and my engine runs at around 185 highway and 185-190 around town. It can go down to 180 though at times. I like it and it hasn't adversely affected anything.

timberwoof
04-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I have one that I've been meaning to put in but honestly have been to lazy to do it. But I live in an area where it gets up to and past 110 at times.

lone_wolf025
04-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Unless you live in a really cold climate a 180 tstat won't hurt anything. I ran one for a few years with no ill effects, but it really won't make that huge a difference on the track.

KrazyGT-03
04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
ive been thinking of getting a 180 t-stat for my car but it looks like i would either need to take off the front header, or remove the lower manifold in order to get to he t-stat... with stock exhaust manifolds its a piece of cake but a portion of my front header is up against the t-stat housing so i have no clearance to remove it.... anybody else with headers have this issue? any way around this?

lone_wolf025
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM
ive been thinking of getting a 180 t-stat for my car but it looks like i would either need to take off the front header, or remove the lower manifold in order to get to he t-stat... with stock exhaust manifolds its a piece of cake but a portion of my front header is up against the t-stat housing so i have no clearance to remove it.... anybody else with headers have this issue? any way around this?

Its possible to get it off and back on without removing the headers, but its a huge pain and a very tight fit.

IanGT99
04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I've had my 180 installed for about 5 years now. I've had no problems mechanically with it. It keeps the engine temp cooler in the summer, and I did notice VERY slight gains in power when I installed it. I did sacrifice one or two MPG's with it, too. However, I live in western PA. It SUCKS in the winter. It's rare for the car to get over 170 degrees and it takes forever for the car to get even that warm. Your heat will never be hot, but more like luke warm. I'm gonna keep it in till fall and then switch it out for a stocker and have a coolant flush and fill done. I'm tired of freezing my @$$ off. If you live in Arizona where its a billion degrees all the time or if you have some serious mods done, it's ok to have the 180 stat. If you live anywhere else where the weather drops below 60 degrees at any time of the year, it's not worth your time and money and the loss of your fingers due to frostbite.

lone_wolf025
04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I've had my 180 installed for about 5 years now. I've had no problems mechanically with it. It keeps the engine temp cooler in the summer, and I did notice VERY slight gains in power when I installed it. I did sacrifice one or two MPG's with it, too. However, I live in western PA. It SUCKS in the winter. It's rare for the car to get over 170 degrees and it takes forever for the car to get even that warm. Your heat will never be hot, but more like luke warm. I'm gonna keep it in till fall and then switch it out for a stocker and have a coolant flush and fill done. I'm tired of freezing my @$$ off. If you live in Arizona where its a billion degrees all the time or if you have some serious mods done, it's ok to have the 180 stat. If you live anywhere else where the weather drops below 60 degrees at any time of the year, it's not worth your time and money and the loss of your fingers due to frostbite.

That's strange...I had a 180 t-stat through a few winters and never had that problem even on really cold days with temps well below freezing. Even on those cold days when moving I saw temps hover around 190-200. If your car never gets to 170 with a 180 tstat then something's wrong as it doesn't open until 180 as opposed to the stock 195. Sounds more like you had a busted t-stat that was stuck open.

IanGT99
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Eh, I guess it did get to 180 or so, but never above 190-200. It also takes FOREVER for the car to heat up to the point where I'm not a popsicle. I have about a half-hour commute to work, and the car takes 20 to get warm to the point where it's worthwhile to use the heater. Like I said, I'm gonna get rid of the 180 in the fall.