Front wheel bearing need info [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearing need info

pappas44
03-31-2009, 10:47 AM
I bought a new bearing for the driver side and when we were taking the old one out in pieces it seems as there is a seal in the hub. Is this a seperate seal or is this part of the bearing assembly? Opps! it is a 2000 gagt with a 6cyl. I have replaced this before but I can't remember. The gm dealer told me they don't list a seal but I just want to make sure. Thanks for any help.

BOOTMASTER
03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
it is part of the bearing assembly

2000 GT Coupe
03-31-2009, 05:30 PM
on a related topic I replaced my RF bearing with a Timken bearing and it was bad from the start.;crap

pappas44
03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the replies.... It was part of the existing bearing. Also I had to buy 3 replacement bolts for the hub($3.00@piece) and two for the brake caliper bracket ($22.00@piece), They are identical bolts except the ones for the brake caliper bracket are only about half the length. The book says that if you lossen the caliper bracket bolts they must be replaced which would work out to about $46.00 w/tax in Ontario. In order to take off the rotor you have to take off the bracket there is no way around it. Too say the least I'm extremly pissed at GM for this price gouging. So every time you have to change the rotor or the bearing thats an extra $50 for two bolts to do either job.