convetional to royal purple??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : convetional to royal purple???

bouji1
04-02-2009, 07:44 PM
ok guys i need some advice here. i have a 99 grand am gt with 76000 on her. i bought the car used and have no idea if it was run on synthetic or not. but i wanna start running royal purple full synthetic 5w-30. is that a bad idea. because i have heard that syn oil loosens carbon and that can clog pumps etc... but the pontiac dealer said the car wont know the difference, but i think he just wanted me to bring it in. also whats the best oil filter to use in our cars. and also if i switch to syn oil is there any thing special i have to do?? for instance oil change at 2000 miles or what. i'm green as hell when it comes to this stuff. any help appreciated guys thanks a ton. gig!!

silverbullet51
04-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I bought my car at 112k and switched right away to synthetic; have had no problems. So go ahead and use synthetic and change it at every 5k or when the oil light comes on, but I wouldn't wait longer than 5k. Never heard of synthetic loosening carbon particles or causing sludge.

The best oil filter you can get is a Napa Gold #1036. It is an oversize filter and can hold more contaminants than a standard one. It'll run you about 7 bucks but it's built like a tank and worth every penny. Hope this helps. Search "oil filter" and see what you can find; everybody has their own preference.

SuburbGT
04-03-2009, 10:23 AM
i would not use synthetic as it prevents wear on the engine, and at 90,000, most of the wear has occured. I would go with 5w-30 synthetic blend every 3k.

cardude007617
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
i recently switched to syn and love it. the car seems to run smoother and start better in colder weather.
FYI, my car now has 107k on it, and i switched at about 100k

SSRacer
04-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I switched to RP at about 40 or 50K. Almost to 100K now.

There is nothing special you have to do. Hell, I usually run to about 4K before changing mine.

cardude007617
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
the only thing i would say is not to use royal purple on a mostly stock car...cuz its simply not needed.

go with a good synthetic from either mobile or castrol

Panacea
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
IIRC Royal Purple didn't do so well, or at least not any better, than any other synthetic oil out there. Search www.bobistheoilguy.com and see what they say. There shouldn't be any problem switching to synthetic though.

I've come to the conclusion that unless you've modified your car, are racing it, or do extended oil change intervals, then synthetic isn't really worth it. I've stopped using it because I change my oil more frequently.

bouji1
04-05-2009, 08:54 PM
first off thanks for all the help guys. and also i decided to go with a royal purple oil filter and royal purple 5w-30. look em up on royalpurple.com and let me know what you think. it was like 15.00

Mike Jung
04-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Don't leave the Royal Purple oil in too long !

Viscosity shearing is a bitch...

Don't need to read another case of a Royal Purple sludged engine.
(It's additive pack doesn't seem to hold out too well.)

SSRacer
04-06-2009, 11:13 AM
due for a change in mine this weekend. Think I am going to dump a bottle of sea foam in it later in the week. Might switch off of RP to another syn just due to the price of the stuff.

hass
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
would synthetic make piston slap even worse?

silverbullet51
04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
from what I read, most synthetics have some sort of anti-shearing/wear inhibitors in them versus conventional, so piston slap could be either no difference or slightly less with synthetic. someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I currently run Penzoil Platinum 5w30 and have no complaints. It does good in the oil tests and is about 2 bucks cheaper than Royal Purple. I had no idea they made oil filters too.

Mike Jung
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
...I currently run Penzoil Platinum 5w30 and have no complaints. It does good in the oil tests and is about 2 bucks cheaper than Royal Purple. I had no idea they made oil filters too.
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 = Good.

Pennzoil oil filter = Fram made oil filter = Bad.

silverbullet51
04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 = Good.

Pennzoil oil filter = Fram made oil filter = Bad.

I was referring to Royal Purple oil filters. Yeah, anything Fram is POS. Learned that lesson with my first car.

bouji1
04-07-2009, 05:06 PM
yeah these royal purple filters are amazing. the shell is pretty thick and the rubber on the inside is purple. its supposidly a high mileage filter and doesnt need to be changed for 12000 miles. but ima change it every 4000 along with my oil. its seems to be a quality filter. 99 percent filtration rate. also metal endcaps and a silicone anti drainback valve

Malaclypse
04-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Buying a RP oil filter is just overkill. A K&N oil filter isn't quality enough based on the filtration tests I saw on BITOG.

Stick with Delco PF52 or the WIX equivalent.

I run Castrol 0w30 in my Cobalt for about 8-9k miles before I change it. Never had any issues.