Might be another LIM question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Might be another LIM question

mach158
04-02-2009, 09:26 PM
I have a 97 grand am with the 3100 v-6 that is leaking oil. It is leaking oil from what appears to be under the exhaust manifold. When I look under the car it appears to be coming off what I believe to be the starter. It hit it in the middle ontop and rolls down the front and onto the ground. Its fast enough to produce a steady stream of oil. I cant see exactly where it is coming from either due to the location.

Is it possible this is a LIM problem? I was told it may also be the oil pump drive seal.

I tried the search and all I got was the typical LIM answers and I have nothing noticeable in the oil or coolant but I lose oil so fast its hard telling.

Also after filling the oil, it takes about 15-20 seconds and the oil pressure light comes on. Is it possible my oil pump needs replaced now too due to this issue?

black05GT
04-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Is the oil pressure sender just above the starter on the 3100, like it is on the 3400 ? If so, that's a possible source of an oil leak.

mach158
04-02-2009, 09:44 PM
This is my first V-6 and FWD. I needed a DD so I didnt put a bunch of miles on my truck plus the truck only gets 14MPG. All my automotive experience is with V-8's and RWD.

I will check and see if I can get to that area and see if perhaps that is the problem. Would be nice if it was that simple unless its more complex then Taking the sender out and putting some sealant on it and putting it back?

mach158
04-05-2009, 01:31 PM
problem has been resolved. After getting everything to do the LIM it was the oil pressure switch. Somehow the black portion broke along the base allowing a huge leak. Car runs great now and no leaks. These cars are actually pretty easy to work on once I got to spend some time with it.

Thanks for help.