Starter set of tools [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starter set of tools

Rebw
04-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Since I'm starting to get into working on my car for the first time, I've realized that it's pretty cumbersome to ask friends to borrow tools or go to a shop every time I need a wrench. Anyone able to recommend a nice set of tools for the beginner that's easy to port around in the car? Don't really know the differences between manufacturers, just wondering if anyone had a set that worked well for them when they were first starting out and can recommend it. Will keep searching, but wouldn't mind some help.

SuburbGT
04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Go to sears and get a mechanic's tool set like this...http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934283000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets#descriptionAnchor...make sure u get the one that comes with the case though. It comes with all the sockets and ratchets you'll ever need. Plus, the tools are guranteed for life.

ryanbgb22
04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeap, go to a local sears, don't look online (too many price and kit variations), and see all that they have to offer. The stores usually carry about 10 different kits that come in a case. If you have the money, go big, this is a one time investment that you'll have for the rest of your life. Its better to have things you think you'll never use, than to find you're missing something that would be helpful.

PhantomLover007
04-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I got my first REAL tool set off of Amazon.com. 300 pc for about $175, IIRC. 5 drawers and a flip top.

McFlurrey06
04-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Torque Wrench.

awfulwaffle
04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
Go to sears and get a mechanic's tool set like this...http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00934283000P?vName=Tools&cName=Tool+Sets&sName=Mechanics+Tool+Sets#descriptionAnchor...make sure u get the one that comes with the case though. It comes with all the sockets and ratchets you'll ever need. Plus, the tools are guranteed for life.

Yup, this was my starter set. The one with the 3 drawers. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive, and most of the sockets you'll need (although it did lack 1/2 inch deep sockets). Aside from that, a decent breaker bar would come in handy, some longer extensions for your ratchets, and maybe a swivel joint for the 1/2 and 3/8 ratchets for those hard to reach areas. A torque wrench would also be recommended. You can get some nice clicker wrenches on amazon for fairly cheap. I got my ft-lb clickers off there ( 20 to 80 for 50 and 50 to 250 for 120) and my inch lb clicker I bought at a Sears store for 50 bucks. If you've got the cash, I'd get a good master set of ratcheting box wrenches too.