engine swap??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : engine swap???

bouji1
04-05-2009, 10:00 PM
how do you know if youve had an engine swap. because my 3.4 has yellow writing on the manifold and on a bracket on the engine and also on the distrubuter. and also if an engine change did take place my car has 76.000 on it. do they usually put an engine with more or less miles in the car. carfax sais no accidents so i dont know why the engine would need to be changed... how can i be sure it was changed

BOOTMASTER
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
not sure if you can tell, idk if the vin is stamped in on the block anymore or anything like that... experts on here should know the answer.....

though it does sound like someone had at lest the top of you engine off for a U/LIM change....

which COULD mean that they swapped the motor because if the previous owner wasn't watchful or careful with that leak, it could have caused major overheating and ruined the engine...

as for mileage IF it was swapped, the mileage of the replacement engine can vary greatly, it could have been more or less.... usually depends on cost and what the previous owner wanted to pay and what was available...

AaronGTR
04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
No idea how to tell if the engine was swapped or not... but I CAN tell you that it doesn't have a distributor, so if you found one of those there is definitely a problem! ;):heh:

bouji1
04-07-2009, 06:10 PM
come on experts. its killing me i got to know.

realestdriver
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Its really no sure way of telling, if its running good then try not to worry bout it. Especially if its a 99 grand am. But for 76k, there should be little to no lifter noise when you first start it up in the mornings. Most salvage places mark all over the engine, also note that more than likely if there was an engine swap none of the extended engine would be marked because they take them all off before the sell. For example the power steering pump, a/c compressor, alternator, maybe the coil pack.