Rust on trunk lid [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rust on trunk lid

IanGT99
04-07-2009, 11:45 PM
This should probably go in All Shine, but I thought it'd get more looks on here. Despite my incessant washing and waxing, alas, there is rust forming on my trunk lid. Its right on the bottom end of it directly in the middle of the lid. The car is 10 years old, so I guess I can start to expect it. Lots of water and crap collects there. It seems that it has started on the underside and wrapped around to the outside. I attempted to use touch-up paint when it was much smaller, but it's back in full force and twice as large.

What would be the best way to fix this? I'm NOT going to have the trunk repainted. I don't have an extra $500 sitting around to do that, but I don't want the rust to spread anymore. I was thinking I could scrape off the rust, wet sand the bare metal, claybar the area to try to extract the impurities, use the Krylon metal primer and then a color-matching spray or touch-up stick. I don't need it to be perfect. I just want it to look semi-decent and stop the rust from spreading any further. Any helpful hints???

KhellendrosxS
04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
As long as you end up with shiny metal and no rust then you can primer and paint. If you leave even one speck of rust in the metal its will only be a matter of time before it creeps back up through your fix.

Scrape off what you can with a wire brush and then sand the rest (no need to wetsand bare metal). Just use a fine grit when you get to your last sanding step and use a body filler to fill in any grooves that the sandpaper left in the metal. Then spray.

stillriza
04-08-2009, 09:45 AM
As above. That works. I had the same on my rear drivers side door where the water seaps out. I sanded down, then used a rust converter...after it dryed I spray painted it with a matching paint. Looks good.

IanGT99
04-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice. Thanks, guys. Where's the best place to get a matching spray paint? I have a red '99. I'd rather not use a touch-up stick, but I know I can match the paint numbers to those. I've never seen any spray that would match my paint (or maybe I've just never really looked). Do you guys happen to know the matching number for the '99 red?

stillriza
04-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Not sure in your area, for me I went to Canadian Tire and gave them my year and model and they had it. If you guys have a Part Source, you could try them as they are owned by the same company.

IanGT99
04-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm gonna try Advance Auto and Auto Zone... maybe Pep Boys too. I have to wait for the weather to cooperate, though. In western PA, that could take til June... lol