transmission question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission question

GrandAmGTTT
04-08-2009, 08:25 PM
So i was gonna have my buddy who has changed many transmissions on our motors before and is a mechanic as well, change mine. But my parents didn't feel he knew what he was doing because they talked to some mechanics they know and the mechanics they talked to said its impossible to change tranny by lifting the motor and the only way to do it is from the bottom taking the suspension apart ect.... but how is that two mechanics say its impossible to do this yet my buddy has done it numerous times?

XtremeGaGt00
04-08-2009, 08:30 PM
i think the HARDEST part is dropping the cradle, it is not a pita either, anyone can do it

GrandAmC9
04-08-2009, 10:04 PM
ya i pulled mine out the top in my garage it can come out either way

AaronGTR
04-09-2009, 05:08 AM
It's not impossible. I've done it both ways myself. If you take the engine out first by itself, you can then disconnect the transmission from the car and have enough room to lift it out. Only thing on the suspension that needs disconnected is the lower ball joint, so you can pull the strut outward and have enough room to jerk the inner end of the axles out of the trans. Then just disconnect the electrical connections, shift linkage, and trans cooler lines. Put your lift chain on it, disconnect the three trans mounts, and lift it out. :thumbs:

GrandAmGTTT
04-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Exactly, thats what i thought lol i don't know why all these retired mechanics are telling me its impossible to do it from the top. They're retarded and don't know as much as they should