Car is completely dead all of a sudden. No electricity, no headlights, nothing. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car is completely dead all of a sudden. No electricity, no headlights, nothing.

Kory
04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, haven't been on these forums in a while, but I also haven't had any major issues in a while.

So, a couple months ago, right around Christmas time, my car would occasionally (maybe 3 or 4 times total) be completely dead when I would come out to it to start it. The car had been running fine previously, and I would, say, go into work, and come out afterward and the car would be completely dead. No electricity running through the car at all. The only light that would come on was on the dashboard, when the key was in the Accessory position, the Service Engine Soon light would be on, very dimly.

After about 5-10 minutes of sitting in the car, pressing buttons and turning the key sporadically, I would hear a faint electronic popping noise through the speakers, about twice a second, like the car was slowly starting to come back to life. The volume and speed of the noise gradually got louder, and by the 15-20 minute mark, the car would come back to life all of a sudden, and be fine for days or even weeks.

I guess I should mention that the first time this happened was the first time I shut my car off after doing some major honking of my horn. I was at a Christmas light show, and honking was encouraged.

Anyway, after about the fourth time this happened, it never happened again, until earlier today.

I went to the gas station, on E, and filled up my tank. When I got back into my car to start it, the engine started to turn over, it made the noise like it was about to start, and then it stopped working, and died down quickly. I tried a second time to start the car, and it again tried to turn over, but to a much lesser extent, and then nothing.

I sat there for a minute thinking "not this again" until I began to hear the faint electronic popping noise through the speakers. This time, however, the car did not come back to life, it just stayed dead.

I finally flagged down somebody to jump the car, and although the guy connected the cables while his car was already running, and he connected them (his car) positive, negative, (my car) positive, negative, which isn't exactly the standard procedure, I still figured this should have worked, and I've been told it would still work. I didn't want to insult the guy who was trying to help me out in front of his wife and baby.

However, the jump did nothing for me at all. If anything, it seemed to drain my car even more, because after he was done, the lone dashboard light wouldn't come on anymore, and the electronic popping in the speakers was gone.

Is this just a case of a battery that has seen it's final day? Or does this sound like a much bigger problem. I'm fearing that it is the latter. I finally had some good news that I had been waiting for yesterday, and it was followed immediately by this. Somebody please give me some more good news, I could truly use it right now.

Thanks in advance!

Kory

Kory
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Update:

Woke up this morning and decided to properly clean the battery connections, on the off chance that that was the problem. Cleaned them up with a steel wool dish scrubber, put them back on tight, and voila, the car came back to life and started.

Does the fact that this was a recurring problem worry anybody else? Or is it possible that I just "fixed" the problem?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

tjc13
04-11-2009, 09:08 AM
I bet that was the problem. After reading your first post I would have reccomended checking your battery connections.

350rs
04-11-2009, 09:13 AM
i was having a similar problem. i replaced those terminals and never had that problem again. But cleaning might give you the same result