ok GAGT.. lets see if you can help me here` [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ok GAGT.. lets see if you can help me here`

350rs
04-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Lately my car is goin bezerk ( WHO KNEW!!) again.. I am thinking either IAC or EGR. Maybe even just a gasket for one or the other. But anyway here are my problems.

High Idle after a few seconds of start up. It will slowly rise and rise untill its at about 2500 to 3000 RPM. This is at a cold startup. ( engine has not run and been allowed to totally cool). However, if i drive it like this, then put it in neutral, turn it off and then back on when its warm, most of the time this fixes my problem and it runs semi normal. Now i have noticed a slight vaccume leak, but its been there since i bought the car and never been a problem untill now. But i wouldnt think that to be the problem if i can turn the car off and on again and be fine. With this problem goin full blown at a dead stop, like say a stop light where im still in gear, my RPM reads about 1000 to 1200. Now not only is this a HUGE waste of gas, but its hard on my clutches and brakes. So i need this fixed pronto. I have clean the pintle on the IAC ages ago when it happened the first time and didnt have any issues again untill recently. Maybe i can try this again. But it really wasnt all that dirty. And with both parts being 50+ bucks ( egr closer to 90) i dont want to just start replacing parts.

Any ideas?

AaronGTR
04-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Definitely not EGR. It would have nothing to do with your idle really. There is no oxygen in the exhaust gas so it won't make the engine speed up if it's stuck wide open. My first three guesses would be major vacuum leak, sticking throttle plate, or malfunctioning IAC valve. Have you tried replacing the valve or just cleaning it?

lone_wolf025
04-13-2009, 04:41 PM
If the egr was bad or stuck open due to a chunk of carbon lets say, you wouldn't see a high idle. It'd hunt for idle and keep coming close to dying out and you'd have an SES light. I'm going with one of the 3 Aaron mentioned.

350rs
04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
ive only cleaned it. i did thump on it one day while it was doing that though and it did jar the idle a bit. but barely noticeable.

I wouldnt think it to be a vacuum leak since its not a constant thing. If a line is broken wouldnt there ALWAYS been a leak, thus always a high idle? Or are there things that get shut off at certain times to a vacuum?

XtremeGaGt00
04-13-2009, 05:21 PM
i would say get all the vacuum leaks fixed first, get some carb and choke cleaner and start sprayin around and listen to the idle to change, and fix whatever needs fixin..

350rs
04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
it might not even be what i think it is. but it couldnt hurt i suppose

BOOTMASTER
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
aaron is probably on the money, but i had an injector leak and it did the same thing you described, but i noticed a smell of gas when i popped the hood.... so you might check for that

350rs
04-13-2009, 07:20 PM
i just did the LIM and i replaced the injector orings, they SHOULD be ok. But ill give it a listen. maybe spray around the injectors as well.

BOOTMASTER
04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
that is when mine started doing it(after lim change) and i had an injector that wasn't sealed 100% and it caused the problem

350rs
04-13-2009, 07:59 PM
yea i may have nicked one of the rings or something. i guess i could pull them out AGAIN and give that a shot sometime.. FML

BOOTMASTER
04-13-2009, 08:02 PM
you may be albe to just push down on the fuel rails with a screwdriver and MAYBE get them to seat, you may also make things worse....

XtremeGaGt00
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
ORRRR instead of taking it apart spray carb and choke cleaner by each injector port and see if theres a leak... my .02

350rs
04-13-2009, 09:32 PM
yea thats what i was gonna do before i pulled all that off again

350rs
04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
been a few days now. Problem solved. Turned out to be the IAC. The "vacuum" leak i thought i heard is just the power steering. Not tryin to brag, just sayin for people who may incounter this problem later, assuming they know what the search is..