Power window problem - please help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power window problem - please help!

Jester966
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
My FL window is stuck all the way up. It had been working on and off for a while, but when it stopped working it was always up. Then it started working and continued to work fine for about 8 months or so. Now it's stopped again and has been stopped for about a month and a half.

Right now the interior door panel is off and I am trying to diagnose the problem. I am getting full power (11.69v) to the motor when the switch is pressed in either direction. So it's not electrical. I have read several threads on this problem here and suspect that it is physically jammed and that it is a clip/sash problem as other's have mentioned, however can not access this part because the window is all the way up!

Everything I have seen shows the window part way down so that you can unscrew the bolt attaching the sash to the window. So now I am stuck, I have no idea how to get the window down so that I can access the screws!!! Can anyone help?

Thanks!

burgett2103
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
you might have to get an entire new motor or you will have to get a new alignment done by dealership

burgett2103
04-13-2009, 02:36 PM
i just had this fixed few weeks ago

Jester966
04-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Well I loosened all the screws except the one holding the motor and checked it - still didn't work. So loosened the last screw on the motor, and it started working! Tightened things back up, stopped working! While I had it working though I braught the window down to check out the clips, but couldn't see anything physically broken.

I had already unplugged the motor and checked the voltage on the wires and everything was good. Since I now knew that there was no physical jam, I thought it must be the motor itself. I was ready to pull the whole assembly out and go order another one, but I decided to make one last attempt at finding a "cheaper" proplem. It turns out that it was the connector itself - it wasn't noticeably loose, it just wasn't contacting properly. So I cleaned the contacts as best I could, plugged it back in and secured it with some tape. Problem solved!

I guarrantee that if I had gone to the dealer, they would have replaced the entire regulator. It would have solved the problem, too, since the faulty connection was on the motor itself. But they would have charged me a fortune to fix it, when all it needed was a little duct tape!

BOOTMASTER
04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
sounds like you have a 4dr, but i had the same problem with my 2dr....

i had to unbolt the window regulator assembly from the door, which brought it down just low enough to unbolt the window and remove it, then you can remove the regulator assembly. if that doesn't get you enough room, just remove the motor from the regulator assembly and push the window down.... that can be a hassle to do, so you may just have to drill out the bolts/rivets on the motor.... and since it SOUNDS like you have either a bad motor or a messed up cable in the track, your better off to just get another one. In that case you wont have to worry about ruining the old one.... if you do have to ruin the old assembly and or its bad, you can use a wedge of some sort to hold the window up until you can get a new regulator assembly

as far as a quick test goes..., with the window out, test to see if the regulator moves up or down with the switch, if it doesn't, you have a bad motor most likely.... get a whole new(or used) assembly.... and replace.... also check that the regulator cable is not off somewhere causing a jam... if your motor is just the bad part and the cable asembly is good, i may have a new motor i can sell you for cheap, just pm me...

as for aligning the window, just put it back in, with the regulator out, and play with it until its back in its track and going up and down smoothly... you may need to use a screwdriver or something to get the seal to not fight you to get this done.... once done and its going up and down smoothly, just have a buddy tape the window to the top of the door in the all the way up position....

then put your regulator back in with the tabs about half up or so, and bolt it in... then push the up botton till it lines up with the window tabs, they SHOULD then be able to hold the window up and you can remove the tape and slowly roll the window down and bolt the window to the regulator and make sure it goes up and down smoothly.... then put your door back together and your done

hope this helps

BOOTMASTER
04-13-2009, 08:54 PM
kick ass!

rocketfast123
04-13-2009, 08:57 PM
This is so easy to fix. :lol: You motor is locked, hold down and slam your door while holding down. Or punch the door panel while holding down. Kind of like how you got to hit on a bad starter.