Front Motor Mount [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Front Motor Mount

GrandAmGTTT
04-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey guys how long does it take to put a new motor mount on? And what all do you need to do? Do you have to drop the cradle? How do you go about doing it?

AaronGTR
04-14-2009, 08:01 AM
About an hour. No need to drop the cradle. Are you replacing the whole thing or just the upper part with the rubber bushing? Pretty much all you need is a jack and a block of wood to support the engine, then a couple sockets and wrenches and a ratchet with a short extension. Just basic hand tools.

GrandAmGTTT
04-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Ok thanks, and ya i'm gonna be replacing the part with the rubber bushing

hass
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Funny, heh... Hijack inc.
I just replaced mine yesterday night.
First time I ever did it, was actually really easy.
took ~10-15 mins to get it out, and the same to put it back in. (unscrewed the coolant res, and Power steering res and moved them aside)
Rear tranny mount was another story ;\ aha.

However, after I did this... The motor still seems to have quite a delay in time when I shift through the gears.. P->R->N->D and back...
and the motor still rocks very much.

Here's the old video I posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obo02U7fFyk

It got a lot worse since then...

I only replaced the Front motor, and then the rear trans (the big aluminum one).

I have the two left/right mounts... I have yet to put those on, although I'm disappointed as I figured those were the beefiest of the mounts and did... hardly anything.
But I'm chalking it up saying that those two mounts are the front/rear, and the motor is rotating side/side, so the two smaller mounts will probably help considerably.

HOWEVER.
My question isssss.
When I shift through p/r/n/d... Low Trac light comes on (Not moving at all, foot on brake)... and if I move or turn the wheel after that comes on... The car beeps and the whole Trac off/ABS lights turn on as if the Hub assembly sensors are bad.
I replaced them ~7-8 months ago... I was just going to replace them again since I think they're under warranty, but why does it do it when I'm switching gears, with the car not moving?
Ugh, edit; http://grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79241
got it.

Is there any way to tell if a mount is bad or not really?
The two mounts I took off seem... normal I guess.
The front motor, was like 1/3" shorter than the new one I put on, and when I shake it, it makes noise as I assume it's liquid filled. It also seems much stiffer than the new one I put on.
The Rear trans mount, had a little rubber piece broken off it looked like from the inside... but otherwise fine.

RPO3
04-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Your Engine Was Gettin Jiggy Wit It

AaronGTR
04-14-2009, 06:19 PM
Kinda confused... I think you (Hass) are referring the the upper engine mount as the front mount and the side transmission mount as the rear mount?

There is only one actual engine mount and it's up top so that's normally just called the upper engine mount. The trans has three mounts and the one on the drivers side of the engine bay is called the side mount. The ones that are on either side of the engine/trans are actually at the front and back of the engine bay in relation to the car, so those are called the front and rear tranny mounts.

Those are the two that really control all the engine movement since when you rev the engine or the transmission shifts, they both rock side to side. So you have to replace or stiffen the front and rear mounts to stop the engine from flopping around. ;)

hass
04-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Kinda confused... I think you (Hass) are referring the the upper engine mount as the front mount and the side transmission mount as the rear mount?

There is only one actual engine mount and it's up top so that's normally just called the upper engine mount. The trans has three mounts and the one on the drivers side of the engine bay is called the side mount. The ones that are on either side of the engine/trans are actually at the front and back of the engine bay in relation to the car, so those are called the front and rear tranny mounts.

Those are the two that really control all the engine movement since when you rev the engine or the transmission shifts, they both rock side to side. So you have to replace or stiffen the front and rear mounts to stop the engine from flopping around. ;)

Well I guess I was refering to it that way, yes.

Since our motor is mounted to the side, the front of the motor is actually the upper one.
And the transmission mount is the rear one (the big aluminum one)
then the left/right mounts, are actually the mounts that control the front/back movement... If that makes sense... -.-
Which appear to be quite bitchly to change. :\

Or at least that's the way all the parts I purchased from Advanced are labeled ;]

hass
04-17-2009, 07:18 PM
okay, I need some help.
How on earth do those two mounts off?

I can't find a how to... Going to search the googles now.
Ugh.
I got the mounts unscrewed.. but.. can't get them out ;\

haynes manual is zero help with this...
ugh.
can barely even see what it's pointing to in the pictures anyway.

edit;
it's these guys.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Transmission-Mount-Anchor_15300065-P_38_R|GRPENGPAMS_729221436___

Does the whole metal mounting bracket come out?
-.- I'm confused.