grand am gt and alero [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : grand am gt and alero

dattman_20
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
i was told to day at work that my 01 grand am gt has the same engine as an alero. so that got me thinking can i order engine parts for an alero that will fit on my grand am. things like turbo, headers that kinda stuf. thanks

Nick-G
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
i was told to day at work that my 01 grand am gt has the same engine as an alero. so that got me thinking can i order engine parts for an alero that will fit on my grand am. things like turbo, headers that kinda stuf. thanks

If they made turbo kits for a 3400 alero do you really think the 3400 GA owners would be making their own? lol

The alero has the same aftermarket as the ga performance wise.

AaronGTR
04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah, the alero has the same aftermarket or even smaller. Engine wise they have all the same stuff available. You won't find anything listed for an alero that isn't listed for a grand am, and you won't find a turbo kit for either because they don't make them.

aiixon
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
this is totally off topic, but aaron, i was wondering, if you can afford such nice stuff to mod your grand am, and obviously you have one of the nicest grand am's on the street, how come your daily driver is a 1997 grand prix?

Nick-G
04-15-2009, 05:40 PM
this is totally off topic, but aaron, i was wondering, if you can afford such nice stuff to mod your grand am, and obviously you have one of the nicest grand am's on the street, how come your daily driver is a 1997 grand prix?

I'm not getting your point at all :confused:

PhantomLover007
04-15-2009, 09:46 PM

He's being smart w/ his investment. W/ all the work, time and money he's put into his GA, he's making the smarter choice to have a DD and keep the GA in excellent condition for when he does car shows. The less work he has to put into it from avoiding driving daily, the more time and money he has to put into modding and keeping it clean. I hope I've hit the nail on the head. What I would do if I had the money personally.

DrFabulous
04-16-2009, 06:13 AM

He used to live in MI, where he needed a DD for winter... now I assume he uses it to keep miles off the GA

AaronGTR
04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
hehe, who said I can afford it... I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. ;) lol

No, but really... I've had the car for 8 years so I've had a lot of time to spread out the mods, but I've still spent way more than I should on it. It's just what I love doing. If you spent that much money on a car would you want to drive it daily? And after spending that much money on the GA I can't afford a brand new car for a dialy driver, so I drive a beat up old car instead.

Both Phantom and Dr touched on good points. I used to live in MI where winters are really harsh on a daily driven car, and even here in FL it takes a lot more work to keep a car clean if you drive it every day. Plus I have a very dirty job and I wouldn't want to drive home in the grand am in my work clothes. By driving the grand prix I can keep the wear and tear off the grand am. The GP is old and has a lot of miles and really is a piece of junk... but it drives well and the engine has been reliable. I've had to put some money into it to keep it running, but otherwise I don't really care what happens to the paint and interior etc etc. I just drive it.