Long-Term Parking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Long-Term Parking

GALover
04-15-2009, 04:59 AM
As an Alaskan we have some special stuff we have to live with, such as -25f for 2-3 weeks a year. I am leaving for school this June for about 9 months. I've asked around to "professionals" as to what they think I should do to prepare my baby for the long cold winter. One said pull the battery, nothing else. I recall reading a post where someone removed their tires and put her up on blocks so the tires wouldn't get warped and I asked my dealer and he said he'd do nothing.

She'll be safely parked on my base under a locked car cover. I'm not concerned for her safety since the MP's can see the area from the front gate (among other anti-theft procedures).

1. Should I pull the battery?
2. Should I put her up on blocks (for the tires)
3. Anything else?

GMFreak
04-15-2009, 06:32 AM
For 9 months I'd get some jack stands to keep the tires from getting a flat spot. Disconnecting the battery would also be a great idea. Might want to check your coolant to see how low it can go before it freezes. Other than that, I don't know of much else you would need to do.

RPO3
04-15-2009, 07:33 AM
x2

AaronGTR
04-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Taking the tires off wouldn't hurt, but you could probably also get away with just pumping them up to their max air pressure and leaving them on as long as your tires hold air well.

Other than that, yeah I'd pull the battery, and I'd put it on a battery tender if you can. You also might want to pour a bottle of sta-bil in the fuel tank and fill it up so it's full when you leave. That will help keep water out of the fuel. Dry packs are a good idea too if you can get some, to absorb the moisture in the interior. Otherwise it might smell a bit musty in there when you get back. ;) That's mostly what I would do when I used to store my car.

PhantomLover007
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Or get some steelies and used tires and put your good ones up for storage.

aiixon
04-15-2009, 11:28 PM
As an Alaskan we have some special stuff we have to live with, such as -25f for 2-3 weeks a year.

pshh, -25 aint crap :D

Molson
04-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Put the battery inside, where its warm, on a wood bench, just not on concrete. It will last longer.