Transmission Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems

aiixon
04-15-2009, 06:33 PM
So over the few months that I've had this car, I've had a couple weird shifts here and there, maybe one every week or two, nothing that didn't seem normal. Just a delayed shift or a skipped gear or something. But then about 2 weeks ago my transmission started acting really weird; I just started it up and when I went to move forward, it would rev higher than normal to barely move (like 3k RPM). After a few minutes of driving at highway speeds, it was at the point where it would seem like I was always in neutral and just rev really high, for about 5 seconds before it would finally start accelerating. This happened even when I was going about 70 mph, it didn't matter my speed at all. It would just always rev high and it felt like I had no power at all. This happened for like 3 days; after the first day it didn't really get worse, just kept doing it. So I decided not to drive it anymore till I got it looked at by a mechanic. But, a few days ago, I had no ride to soccer, so I just said "screw it" and I got in my car. It didn't do the same things it was doing before, it was odd. Now my car still revs a little higher than normal to move (about 2k RPM) and it accelerates slower. The best simile I have for it is that it performs like my friends 4 cylinder Dodge Stratus. So it drove fine to soccer, just accelerated a little slower in the lower gears (1,2 and maybe 3rd I don't know) but from what I could tell, above about 50 MPH it accelerates pretty much the same, just BARELY slower. However, when I went to back out of the parking lot later, I had no reverse. It would just rev really high and not do anything, but when I shift it into reverse quickly from drive, it bucks really quickly. Also when it's in neutral, I can rev it to about 3-4k RPM's and it will edge forward a few inches. So I've been driving it for the last few days, because it doesn't really affect my driving at all, I just go easy on accelerating and make sure I don't get in a situation where I have to reverse.

So does anyone have any clue what's wrong, what I have to do/get to fix this, and how much it's gonna cost? Also how much worse am I making it by driving it. I've only put probably 100 miles on the car since back when the problem started originally with the super high revving.

Oh also, my ABS, SVS, and Low Trac lights are on.

GrandAmMe
04-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Tranny is cooked time for a new one.

aiixon
04-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the input...

GrandAmMe
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
yeah sorry for being a bit harsh, Did you happen to change the tranny fluid? Sometimes that can stir things up a little.

aiixon
04-15-2009, 11:08 PM
No I didn't, I thought you weren't supposed to change the tranny fluid? Oh yea my car has about 100k miles.

RPO3
04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
yeah sorry for being a bit harsh, Did you happen to change the tranny fluid? Sometimes that can stir things up a little.

Yea why is it that having a tranny flush can make things worse sometimes?

aiixon
04-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Somebody has to have some input for me... I'm trying to get around spending lots of cash at the shop, and if I have to take it there, I'd like to at least know what they're doing so I don't get ripped off.

AaronGTR
04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
You've got some shot seals in the transmission. Something to do with fluid pressure that shifts it into gear and makes the clutches apply power. Same thing happened to my grand prix about six months after I bought it used and had the tranny flushed. I'd put it in drive and it would rev really high before it would move, and eventually it wouldn't move at all. Dropped the tranny out of the car and the pan was all full of grey powder and bits of little grey round seals and bearings. It was toast.

I bought a GM certified rebuilt trans with a 3 year warranty from a local dealership for about $3000. Installed it myself and returned the old trans for a core charge. If you have to have someone else do the work, figure extra for labor. I'm not sure if GM offers certa-trannies for the 4t45E though. Other options would be getting your current one rebuilt at a trans shop which would probably run $2000-3000 depending on the shop, or getting a used trans from the junkyard which is probably the cheapest route but cost will depend on the junkyard and the miles on the trans.

aiixon
04-16-2009, 11:39 PM
So basically you're saying that I need a new transmission no matter what, right? And is it safe to keep driving it? Will it make a rebuild cost more money?

AaronGTR
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes, no, and no. It's going to cost pretty much the same whatever you do to it now. It needs a complete rebuild or replacement.

aiixon
04-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Okay thank you.

BOOTMASTER
04-20-2009, 06:41 PM
aaron is probably right, but i would check the fluid level and make sure its full....

you can find info on here for checking it, and its FREE to do, if you can undo a bolt.... lol

x2 on probably needing a new tranny, you can get a used one off of ebay for around 300-400, maybbe less if you get a good deal, just try to get one with the lowest possible mileage. You can change the transmission yourself, it takes about two days to do while not working on it too hard... if you are close to norhtern indiana, i will change it for you for 350 in labor, and you get the parts.... i've done it twice now on my car...