clicking when turning [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : clicking when turning

GrandAmMe
04-16-2009, 05:42 PM
My car starts to make a clicking sound from the front end when turning.

Any ideas?

stewartfn18
04-17-2009, 03:17 AM
rack and pinion steering assembly is bad. also check for bad tie rods by holding the wheel at 9 and 3 and shaking. Check for shot bearings by holding the wheel at 12 and 6 and shaking. Doubt its a bearing though.

GrandAmMe
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
holy f*ck how much is that? is it dangerous to drive now?

2000 GT Coupe
04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
clicking while turning indicates cv joints more then the steering system check your cv boots see if they are ripped.

GrandAmMe
04-17-2009, 03:04 PM
ok will do. i think i can live with it as long as it is still safe do drive without it!

westerndragon
04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
the clicking is comming from the turn signal :-P lol

no really check cv joints, if those are fine check your rack for a busted bolt or four

GrandAmMe
04-18-2009, 10:39 AM
the clicking is comming from the turn signal :-P lol

no really check cv joints, if those are fine check your rack for a busted bolt or four

lol lol lol i knew thats what it was!!

GrandAmMe
04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok, just a little more info to narrow it down a little. Its only from the driver side and you can feel it in the gas pedal a bit too. It only happens when turning right. It only really occurs when your driving.

westerndragon
04-18-2009, 06:21 PM
is it only when you turn the wheel or does the noise stop when you hold the wheel through the turn?

if the clicking continues while you hold the wheel its possibly the bushing in the rear of the control arm. its a fairly common thing but you need a welder to replace the plate that holds the bushing in. i had mine replaced for about $120 only like $15 for the stupid bushing.

if you stop turning the wheel and the sound stops check every bolt thats holding that side of the steering rack and the rack itself.

GrandAmMe
04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
yeah it stops if i keep the wheel in one position. Its more of a "popping" sound than a click. It also is very spastic. It will sometimes be there and sometimes not be there. I will def. check it ext warm sunny day.

GrandAmMe
04-20-2009, 09:37 PM
:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:bang head:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead: banghead

Im guessing its not the CV joints as it only occurs when turning and not while driving. And to get at the rack and pinnon assembly it looks like the subframe is gunna have to drop correct? the part on ebay looks to be about $230 but labour will be a bitch. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That all i gotta say! Anyone in ajax know how to replace a rack and pinnon assembly?

Im bringing it in this week so wish me luck that its NOT the rack and pinnon

GrandAmMe
04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
:0:) I just read something that it could just use some grease? This could be it due to the rubber on rubber sound i was getting before this sound popped up.

2000 GT Coupe
04-20-2009, 11:06 PM
:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:bang head:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead: banghead

Im guessing its not the CV joints as it only occurs when turning and not while driving. And to get at the rack and pinnon assembly it looks like the subframe is gunna have to drop correct? the part on ebay looks to be about $230 but labour will be a bitch. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. That all i gotta say! Anyone in ajax know how to replace a rack and pinnon assembly?

Im bringing it in this week so wish me luck that its NOT the rack and pinnon

a cv joint that is just starting to go bad will not make noise while moving in a straight line, only while turning, and usually if only one of them only turning that way.
So for example if the right outer cv is going when turning right it will click, but not when turning left, not at first anyway.

dmalle02
04-22-2009, 02:08 AM
a cv joint that is just starting to go bad will not make noise while moving in a straight line, only while turning, and usually if only one of them only turning that way.
So for example if the right outer cv is going when turning right it will click, but not when turning left, not at first anyway.

i agree definately check the cv axel even if the boot aint ripped it could still be bad..had to replace mine few weeks back and it only clicked when i made the right turn and sometimes it wasnt there at all but replaced cv axel and all was well. good luck hope its the cv and not the rack:|...