Oil Change Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Light

350rs
04-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Im curious how this light decides to come on. Is it determined by a certain amount of miles? Or is it a "smart" idiot light that comes one when it actually NEEDS to be changed. Does it actually read the oil so to speak? Or is it reading RPM's, startup, shift points, blah blah blah so on and so forth. I would like to start using the light, but i dont want to wait to long. I dont have a owners manual with this car otherwise i woulda just looked in there.

PhantomLover007
04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
IIRC, it goes off by mileage after you reset it. So, if you get it changed and you forget to reset after you've went 1000 miles, it'll be off a bit... lol. Sometimes, it doesn't go off at all.

350rs
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
so its not a "smart" idiot light? it is indeed set at a certain mileage to go off? What is that mileage? any ideas?

PhantomLover007
04-19-2009, 09:45 AM
so its not a "smart" idiot light? it is indeed set at a certain mileage to go off? What is that mileage? any ideas?

Should be the normal 3000 miles.

350rs
04-19-2009, 09:52 AM
laaame. lol

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 10:06 AM
iirc, it goes off by mileage after you reset it...
Wrong !

PhantomLover007
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Wrong !

Ok. The oil guru has chimed in, so I'm going to get schooled. Teach me O Master of Lubes.

Not being a smart ass. MJ's more versed in this stuff.

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 10:11 AM
From: When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72502)
...It uses: rpm count, temps of coolant & oil, cold starts, etc...
...The GM engine oil life monitor counts engine revolutions and ac***ulates the number for the basis of the oil life calculation.
It then adds deterioration factors for operating temperature, start up temperature, soak times, ambient, coolant temperature, etc...

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 10:25 AM
...I dont have a owners manual with this car otherwise i woulda just looked in there.
See: http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/pontiac/?campaignId=HPPONTIAC

PhantomLover007
04-19-2009, 10:28 AM
From: When has the CHANGE OIL light come on for you (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72502)

Dammit. I didn't see that one MJ. Thanks.

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Im curious how this light decides to come on. Is it determined by a certain amount of miles? Or is it a "smart" idiot light that comes one when it actually NEEDS to be changed. Does it actually read the oil so to speak? Or is it reading RPM's, startup, shift points, blah blah blah so on and so forth. I would like to start using the light, but i dont want to wait to long...
GM says to use the Change Oil Light

The '99 GA owner's manual states, if the Change Oil Light does not come on:
Change it at 1-year or up to 12.5K km/7.5K miles.

GM Canada currently says at 6-months (or the mileage limit of 12.5K km / 7.5K miles) or if the Change Oil Light comes on

Don't forget to check your oil level monthly.
& top it up as needed.

All bets are off on using the OCI monitor, if your LIM is leaking or if your engine burns oil.

The Change Oil Light can come on anywhere from 3K to 7.5K miles.

With today's current spec of oils: API SM / GF-4 spec'd motor dino oils.
5K miles range seems to be the new 3K miles.

If you use synthetic motor oil & follow the Change Oil Light:
You will be safe, as it was calibrated for dino motor oils in it's time of design.

Now there is a warning in the manual if you always drive in dusty areas, to change the oil at 3K miles intervals.

Note: Don't use Fram oil filters (or made by Fram oil flters).

PS: If your Change Oil Light comes on...you are suppose to get the oil & oil filter changed by the next time you use a full tank load of gasoline.

350rs
04-19-2009, 10:55 AM
oh so when that light comes on you gotta get on it jiffy quick. I use a good synthetic oil, i dont burn any and my gaskets are all new ( stupid LIM..) However i used a delco oil filter this time around. Probably go back to the wix filter when i change again. Thanks guys, ill probably go to the 3k, check levels and have a look at the oil, then determine from there. But i doubt i will go over 4 or 4500.

stillriza
04-19-2009, 06:01 PM
GM says to use the Change Oil Light

The '99 GA owner's manual states, if the Change Oil Light does not come on:
Change it at 1-year or up to 12.5K km/7.5K miles.

GM Canada currently says at 6-months (or the mileage limit of 12.5K km / 7.5K miles) or if the Change Oil Light comes on

Don't forget to check your oil level monthly.
& top it up as needed.

All bets are off on using the OCI monitor, if your LIM is leaking or if your engine burns oil.

The Change Oil Light can come on anywhere from 3K to 7.5K miles.

With today's current spec of oils: API SM / GF-4 spec'd motor dino oils.
5K miles range seems to be the new 3K miles.

If you use synthetic motor oil & follow the Change Oil Light:
You will be safe, as it was calibrated for dino motor oils in it's time of design.

Now there is a warning in the manual if you always drive in dusty areas, to change the oil at 3K miles intervals.

Note: Don't use Fram oil filters (or made by Fram oil flters).

PS: If your Change Oil Light comes on...you are suppose to get the oil & oil filter changed by the next time you use a full tank load of gasoline.

Wow MJ, 12K km on dino oil..and this was written back in 99. That is impressive.

Nick M
04-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Mike,

Why do you say not to use Fram oil filter? I thought they were a high quality filter.

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow MJ, 12K km on dino oil..and this was written back in 99. That is impressive.
Depends on how you look at it.

In Theory:
12.5K km mileage from highway driving at 100km/h = 125 hours with engine on time.

Now 125 hours of engine time on at 50km/h = 6250 km

(I heard) Police cars idle alot; so they do their oil changes at about 200 hours of engine on time.

(I heard) A good synthetic motor oil can last up to 300 hours engine on time.

dmalle02
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Mike,

Why do you say not to use Fram oil filter? I thought they were a high quality filter.

I know im not mike but ill anwser for him.... its Simple, filter efficiency is on the poor side and they use oil paper end caps for the fitler median instead of metal like most others (Champ e-cores are now using a plastic also OK). These cardboard endcaps are the sealing surface to the anti-drainback valve as well which generally means not so positive at sealing.

Mike Jung
04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Mike,

They are of crappy design.

The filter does not filter very well.
(& some times it doesn't filter at all...oil being bypassed by not a proper sealing oil filter construction.)

The anti-drain back valve does work too well.
(Nice to have dry starts in the morning with lifter noise tapping.)

& their have been certain incidents of the filter breaking up.
Or blowing off, in certain applications.

PS: I love how North American Honda has oil filters made by Fram for them LMAO lol

PhantomLover007
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
PS: I love how North American Honda has oil filters made by Fram for them LMAO lol

It's just be another excuse for a r1cer not to race... lol

*I can't man. My oil filter might pop off...lol lol

GMFreak
04-20-2009, 08:03 AM
They are of crappy design.

The filter does not filter very well.
(& some times it doesn't filter at all...oil being bypassed by not a proper sealing oil filter construction.)

The anti-drain back valve does work too well.
(Nice to have dry starts in the morning with lifter noise tapping.)

& their have been certain incidents of the filter breaking up.
Or blowing off, in certain applications.

Damn, I've been using them for the most part. Good tid bit of info. I'll be switching to Bosch!

DrFabulous
04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
I might be the only person that still brings their GA to the dealer for oil changes.

Of course, its free, so.... kinda hard to argue with.

GrandAmMe
04-20-2009, 02:41 PM
How ironic, I read this thread last night and today I get a call from my son saying "Uhh there is a light on the dash saying Change oil"

Nick M
04-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the info, probably go with WIX or Bosch next time around.

Mike Jung
04-23-2009, 11:11 PM
As a matter of interest...

The '09 Pontiac G8 GT owner's manual says to do oil change intervals at when the change oil light comes on or at annual (once a year) intervals.
With no mileage limit/cap.

The selling dealer even wanted to make my 1st service appointment; in 1 year's time :eek:

That factory-fill dino oil is coming out, when I put on a few more km's.
Like at 1K km / 621-miles.

& in goes the (German) Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil & a NAPA Gold oil filter.

PS: But it does have a 8.3L / 8.8 US quart oil tank lol