Key stuck in ign. Help please!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key stuck in ign. Help please!!

jmoney
04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Hey guys whats going on, currently i cannot get my key out of the ign. it gets stuck between Acc. and off... ive tried turning the wheel, putting it bak into drive then into park... ive tried searching it as well and found sum1 with the same problem as me but no1 had a solution to it and it was outdated so i thought id start a new one... i hope someone can help or give me any other ideas of how to get this key out, im stuck at home wit hthe car in my driveway... the car actually starts by the way its just getting the key out. PLEASE HELP!!! thank you

Lab Rat
04-21-2009, 07:35 AM
The cable between the key cylinder and the shifter is either broken or came loose. If you can get into the console you can remove or disconnect the cable and all will be good again. But you will not have that function. Not a terribly hard fix. Good luck.

Malaclypse
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually I'd suspect that the tumbler plate in the lock cylinder itself has come loose and is jamming the cylinder in the housing. At least in the 9 times out of 10 that I've had to work on an N-body with a key stuck in the ignition.

There's no real graceful way to remove the lock cylinder at that point. Working to save the passlock connector and shift interlock cable usually results in the utter destruction of the ignition switch and lock cylinder.

99PGAGT1
04-24-2009, 04:55 PM
try tapping on the head of the key with a hammer or similar. not hard just a light tap. make sure its in the off position. had this problem, got the key out then replaced the tumbler.