Rubbing sound when turning right... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing sound when turning right...

Onebetter
04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
For the past couple days i've heard a rubbing type sound when i turn right. It stops when I drive straight or turn left and happens 90% of the time.

I've heard it could be te cv joint of wheel bearing, just wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to check myself which one it would be as i'd like to attempt this myself (with a friend helping) but i'm hoping crappy tire or parts source has free tool rentals as I don't think i'd have the proper tools needed to do this job.

If anyone has any tips, tricks or hints they could pass along.

Thanks in advance

westerndragon
04-22-2009, 05:56 PM
yup yup cv going sounds very likely

cv joints can be tricky if you've never done them i'd have your friend show you on one side and then have him help you with the other.

if one side is going the other side could have 10 miles left or 10,000
you should always do both sides when your steering and wheel systems are involved
affordability allowing of course.

Onebetter
04-23-2009, 03:34 AM
Do you know roughly how much it would cost to buy everything i need to do one side?

also is it still safe to drive for awhile? depending on price, might not be able to fix it for a week or two.

westerndragon
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
if your careful you should be ok just be super easy when turning

I have no idea what prices for parts are like in CA id save out at least 200

call around some parts stores they will usually help you out.

Onebetter
04-23-2009, 01:19 PM
So I was talking to a guy at work today and he was saying just to replace the whole drive axel instead of just the cv joint. I'm assuming this is alot easier to do?

As well I called a couple wreckers and found the whole drive axel for $50.

So the plan is to pick it up on friday and get to work on saturday.

Just a couple questions. Was this guy right in saying it would be easier just to replace the whole drive axel instead of just the cv joint? And i'm assuming $50 is a good price for it used at the wreckers?

Oh and i'm confused. This rubbin sound is happening when I turn right only, a little when im turning back from right. But should I buy the right side or left side? I'm assuming the right side since thats where the noise is comming from?

Thanks so much

Lab Rat
04-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Lift the front end and grab the tire and really push, pull, and shake it. If there is any slop it's probably the bearing. Then grab the half shaft and give that a good push, pull, and shake to see if there is any slop there either. When I needed half shafts I got rebuilts for 80 bux per side. To answer your question, the half shaft asssembly would need to be pulled apart to replace the cv joint. So swapping in a whole assembly is easier. BTW, I would guess bearing since CV's offtimes will "click" when the go out.
Just hate to see people through good money at a problem just to find out it's something else. Good luck with that.

Onebetter
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to take it to a speedy muffler type place, to get a free estimate and that way they can tell me whats wrong with it and i'll end up just going to the wreckers to get the parts.

Hopefully the mechanics at speedy are ok