Replacing rear struts and have a question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear struts and have a question

geoph1986
04-24-2009, 08:02 AM
Hello all,
Well I replaced the front hubs on my wife's car with no problems, thanks to this site. After I changed the hubs, there was a clunk while turning. My first thought was strut mount, but no it was a broken spring. So I changed the front struts, springs, & mounts, again with no problems, thanks to this site.

The rear struts are tired, and since I need to get an alignment (the shops I've phoned only do 4 wheel alignments, for around $70.00), I'm going to change those too. I found a thread here (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10383), and it seemed straight forward. But when I removed all the hardware from the strut tower & rear knuckle, the strut extended a bit, and is binding up on the rear knuckle. The rear knuckle won't drop anymore, because the rubber brake line is stopping it. I have rear drums and the tutorial had rear discs. Does that matter? Do I have to disconnect my rear brake lines, or am I missing something? If I do have to bleed brakes after a strut install, that's a serious design flaw IMO. Thanks for any and all help.

thormxkid
04-24-2009, 08:51 AM
nope don't need to remove any brakelines removed just work with it it should come out...try get someone to push down on the trailing arm (i think its called) well you try to pull it out...

but make sure you got all the bolts before reefing on it

geoph1986
04-24-2009, 12:51 PM
but make sure you got all the bolts before reefing on it

That's good advice.

nope don't need to remove any brakelines removed just work with it it should come out...try get someone to push down on the trailing arm (i think its called) well you try to pull it out...

Thanks for that. It seems that GM made those rear brake lines just long enough. Got the struts done thanks to the instructions in the link. Was a bit of a puzzle getting it out of the wheel well...but it's done now. I got the alignment pretty close, or so it seems, but I will still go to a shop soon. Thanks.

Haughee
04-24-2009, 01:10 PM
What struts did you happen to use?
Mine are long overdue to be replaced.

geoph1986
04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
What struts did you happen to use?

Monroe Sensitrac, front & back on stock springs.