Control Arm Bushing? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Control Arm Bushing?

Onebetter
04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
So I posted the topic earlier about replacing cv joints and that I had a rubbing sound coming from the right front side of the car.

I stopped into a garage today for an estimate, and was told after taking the mechanic on a quick drive and him trying to look behind the tire but couldnt see it, that it was the control arm bushing, and something about the bushing is torn and the bolt or something is rubbing againest the frame?

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is true or not and should I try and replace it or just have the garage do it? They estimated $20-$30 for the bushing and an hour to an hour and a half labour.

Thanks

I need to drive 4 hrs about 450km this weekend and back home so I assume it wouldnt be save to drive it on the 401 from Kingston to Niagara Falls without fixing it first?

westerndragon
04-28-2009, 02:43 PM
if the bushing is blown out you need a welder to replace it. theres a plate that holds it in. hour-hour and a half isnt a bad estimate on time for takin it out and putting it back in.

I would not drive 4 hours on it if its making any kind of noise mostly its just going to screw up your alignment and probably eat through your tire.

if the poly is popping out of the bushing really bad and there's alot of noise you could potentially damage that part of the frame and bracket.

AaronGTR
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
You do NOT need a welder to replace control arm bushings. :rolleyes:

You do however need a hydraulic press. At least if you want it done fast. I've done it myself on both my grand am and my grand prix. Getting the arms off is easy but getting the rubber bushings out and getting the new ones in is not fun.

Do you have any speed bumps close to where you live? If you drive over a large bump or dip that is enough to make the suspension arm go up and down through it's major range of motion, and you hear a squeak and/or thunking noise, then it is quite possibly the control arm bushings. The rear horizontal bushing especially has an outer metal housing that fits into the control arm and often the rubber inside seperates from the outer part and lets the control arm rattle around on the mounting bolt. You'll usually notice some sloppy handling and steering along with this.

westerndragon
04-28-2009, 08:21 PM
:balla:You do NOT need a welder to replace control arm bushings. :rolleyes:

You do however need a hydraulic press. At least if you want it done fast. I've done it myself on both my grand am and my grand prix. Getting the arms off is easy but getting the rubber bushings out and getting the new ones in is not fun.

Do you have any speed bumps close to where you live? If you drive over a large bump or dip that is enough to make the suspension arm go up and down through it's major range of motion, and you hear a squeak and/or thunking noise, then it is quite possibly the control arm bushings. The rear horizontal bushing especially has an outer metal housing that fits into the control arm and often the rubber inside seperates from the outer part and lets the control arm rattle around on the mounting bolt. You'll usually notice some sloppy handling and steering along with this.

:balla: duh, i guess lunch caught up to me