Dex-Cool antifreeze bad for 3.4's [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Dex-Cool antifreeze bad for 3.4's

GranGT05
05-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I have read about many people saying that the Dex-cool antifreeze causes the intake manifold gaskets and waterpumps to go out early. I will change mine asap to a premium brand.I have 83,400 miles on my GAGT and have not had any problems yet since i got it at 74,330 miles as far as gaskets or waterpump.Maybe was replaced already????. I have a service contract good till 98,000 miles or Sept.2010.

RPO3
05-03-2009, 12:11 AM
http://www.dsengine.com/gmgasket/index.html

and...

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Pontiac/Grand_Am/2000/cooling_system/intake_manifold_gasket_failure_coolant_light_is_on .shtml

KhellendrosxS
05-03-2009, 04:58 AM
People forget that the dexcool still has to be changed like the regular antifreeze but forget to do it. Ive run it in my car since day 1 and have not had any problems with it.

If you switch to green you HAVE to change it every 20000 miles. Dexcool is a little more forgiving but Ive never gone more than 30000 without a change.

stillriza
05-03-2009, 05:01 AM
I have read about many people saying that the Dex-cool antifreeze causes the intake manifold gaskets and waterpumps to go out early. I will change mine asap to a premium brand.I have 83,400 miles on my GAGT and have not had any problems yet since i got it at 74,330 miles as far as gaskets or waterpump.Maybe was replaced already????. I have a service contract good till 98,000 miles or Sept.2010.

People forget that the dexcool still has to be changed like the regular antifreeze but forget to do it. Ive run it in my car since day 1 and have not had any problems with it.

If you switch to green you HAVE to change it every 20000 miles. Dexcool is a little more forgiving but Ive never gone more than 30000 without a change.

Agreed. Dexcool isn't the problem, it was the crappy gaskets. I have ran dexcool in my 03 ga since purchase, I have 130km on it now and have had no problems aside from the gasket being changed at 75km. As per what was mentioned above, it is still like regular coolant and needs to be changed at a regular interval.

AaronGTR
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah, Dexcool is not the problem. The first version of long life coolants weren't that great, but they stuff they have now works better. The main problem was the design of the original lower intake manifold gaskets, which have since been fixed. The other problem is that the coolant still needs to be changed every 5 years or 50k miles, and when it's changed the system needs to be bled properly to get all the air out. If you have air in the system, the coolant will turn into muck where it meets the air.

GrandAmGTTT
05-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Yup agreed and I have always used Dexcool without any problems due to using it

Panacea
05-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Going to reinterate the point that Dex cool is not the issue. If it were GM wouldn't be using it still. Spoon (GM Engineer that used to frequent the site) told me it was due to poor engine design of the 3400.

PhantomLover007
05-03-2009, 08:57 PM
If you have air in the system, the coolant will turn into muck where it meets the air.

I'm starting to get that issue around the cap. I had alot of the stuff in the bottle about a month ago. I pulled it off the car and washed it out.

GrandAmGTTT
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm starting to get that issue around the cap. I had alot of the stuff in the bottle about a month ago. I pulled it off the car and washed it out.

ya i have some muck that forms on the inside of the over flow bottle cap