SES, hot engine [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SES, hot engine

aiixon
05-09-2009, 06:33 PM
So yesterday I turned my car on, and instead of just the usual SVS, ABS, and TRAC OFF, lights coming on from my hubs, my SES light came on too. I didn't think anything of it and after driving around for an hour when I parked my car and opened the hood, it was extremely hot. I opened the hood and could feel a huge heat wave on my face and then when I checked the coolant the cap was hard to take off because there was so much pressure. When I got it off it was bubbling; It sounded exactly like boiling water. The little hose that comes off of it I pulled it up and then when I put it back down a lot (well I'm assuming it was a lot, I don't really know) of fluid leaked out. Every once in awhile my SES light flashes too. My friend was with me and he said my water pump might be broken, but I wanted to ask here before I buy anything.

XtremeGaGt00
05-09-2009, 07:26 PM
if your ses light is flashing that means your getting unburnt fuel which is damaging your cat. what did you temp gauge get up to?

aiixon
05-09-2009, 08:48 PM
umm it's between the 2nd/3rd line past 200. Not sure what that is because the scale seems to change or something.

cardude007617
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
ha nice, i bet the car has ran like crap ever since...
way to blow your headgaskets and warp your heads

AaronGTR
05-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, when the car is hot there is normally pressure in the cooling system so the cap would be hard to take off and if you did remove it some coolant should come out as the pressure and heat are allowed to expand. The real problem would be the SES light. You need to know for sure if it was flashing or not, and you need to know what code is set in the PCM. A flashing SES light is really bad.

aiixon
05-09-2009, 10:45 PM
well it didn't constantly flash. it turned on then like twice i looked down in the last day and a half and i saw it flashing for like under 10 seconds. is there a way to get it tested for free, haha?

2000 GT Coupe
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
yes, go to most auto parts stores, autozone, advanced auto, orielly's.

aiixon
05-09-2009, 11:17 PM
i don't have any of those here, only napa and schucks for auto parts.

2000 GT Coupe
05-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I dont know if napa will, schucks should though.