car starts but stalls immediatly [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car starts but stalls immediatly

Plug
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
I recently replaced the altenater and the battery. Sometimes when I start the car the engine stalls immediatly. If when I start it and give it a little gas then she stays running. Sometimes the car starts and runs normally.

Can anybody tell me what may be wrong with it??

The car is a 1999 GAGT 4dr

Panacea
05-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I had the same problem with my car. I have no idea what was wrong or how to fix it. I know others have had the same issue, but I don't know if it was ever resolved. Mine would only do it when I had already driven the car, shut it off for a few minutes and then tried to start it again.

GrandAmMe
05-10-2009, 04:18 PM
is it when its hot or cold? If its hot it sounds like a Fuel Pressure Regulator

FromTheInside
05-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Check FPR as stated, but I'd also look into IAC valve. Idle Air Control Valve.

FromTheInside
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Also, look into that passlock crap. I'm not sure if all years have it as I have never had a problem and we have the same car... Just a pointer.

99blackgagt
01-14-2011, 07:10 AM
i had the same problem this morning...VERY cold outside and i could barely turn the car over. had to give it a little gas and it would stay on. as soon as i let off completely, the lights would dim and the car would stall. the car stalled if i let off the gas at stop signs on the way to work also. if i held the gas in just a bit, the enginge would stay running. i just got my oil changed and filled the coolant tank last night. any ideas?

Lab Rat
01-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Pull you intake off. Find the MAF housing. Being very careful around the thin and fragile wires spray it liberally with MAF cleaner. Do it twice and allow to dry. That was the final fix for the daughtors Malibu. I also changed a very lazy front O2 sensor. That did not fix the cold start but it did run better after the O2.