2000 GrandAm GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2000 GrandAm GT

Hiierarch
05-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Hey guys, I've been around the forums for awhile just reading and browsing and finally figured that since my first car is a silver 2000 Grand Am GT I might make an account to ask general questions I have. It's got 195,000 miles so it needs some work ha, so here's a few questions I have regarding repairs and such;

-How much should I except to pay for a new head light assembly, by that I mean the screws that come off the headlight and the plastic fasteners with it?

-When I start my car, while the engine is idling it will rev up to 800~rpm then down to 400~ then back up to 900~ then down to 500~ and do that for 20-ish seconds. why is that?

-How do I locate which hub is shot, I have a replacement but no idea which wheel to replace it on.

-My car will turn over 2-3 times on some occasions then start the 3-4th time. some days it starts right up, is that because of a starter wearing out?

-The sun roof is suppose to roll all the way back right? depending on the day it will go back 2-4 inches but never all the way back.

-I have a Ram Air GT but it doesn't have the Ram Air hood and I'm not entirely sure why, any ideas?

-I slide my car the other day and was entirely too close to flipping my car and that night I noticed that none of my dash lights work, by that I mean the backlights behind the dials, the mileage - gas-low light - etc still work. but the backlights behind the transmission markers aren't working either.

-I'm also interested in cleaning up the interior and switching from suede seats? to leather. Do they make leather seats for the 2000 GT or could I swap seats from another make/model and install easily?

-What sort of paint should I use on interior accents painting? I've heard that Krylon spray paint is good?

-How much would new carpet for the whole car cost?

-I've seen pictures of a guys car with 'GT' painted on his arm rest cover, how would I do that?

Thats all for now, thanks guys.

FromTheInside
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
"-I have a Ram Air GT but it doesn't have the Ram Air hood and I'm not entirely sure why, any ideas?"

The hood with the scoops? If so, it didn't start until a later production year. All of the GTs are considered Ramair.

"-I slide my car the other day and was entirely too close to flipping my car and that night I noticed that none of my dash lights work, by that I mean the backlights behind the dials, the mileage - gas-low light - etc still work. but the backlights behind the transmission markers aren't working either."

I assume you checked the dial right next to the fog light switch? It could be a defective switch. If you disconnect it, it doesn't allow for backlights to work... So check to see if the dial is to the right, and, if so, try swapping out the dial and such.

"-I'm also interested in cleaning up the interior and switching from suede seats? to leather. Do they make leather seats for the 2000 GT or could I swap seats from another make/model and install easily?"

Yeah, all of the year's seats don't really matter. I'm not sure if you have a coupe or not. If so, there is a little ring holding onto your seat belts that the 4-doors do not have. If you have a coupe and get your seats from a sedan, then you can just switch them over to the seats... No problem. All of the seats are compatable. I am unaware, though, if the seats with different options, such as power tilt seats and stuff can be converted... So you would have to look into that.

"-My car will turn over 2-3 times on some occasions then start the 3-4th time. some days it starts right up, is that because of a starter wearing out?"

I doubt it. It probably needs a tuneup or something. There are many things that can cause this ranging from not bad at all to a bad head gasket which will be one of your worst nightmares...

"-When I start my car, while the engine is idling it will rev up to 800~rpm then down to 400~ then back up to 900~ then down to 500~ and do that for 20-ish seconds. why is that?"

Well, check all of your vacuum hoses and everything. That's a good place to start. Have someone shut off the car when you're peering under the hood and then listen for hissing noises. You will definitely hear some near the throttle body, but check for hissing around hoses and locate any leaks.

As for your carpet set... I will assume new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04-Oldsmobile-Alero-Pontiac-Grand-Am-Floor-Mats_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m3a4dcf1eaaQQitemZ250413522602QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5f TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

60 bucks unless you find a better deal. Expect to spend around there though. Definitely get rubber floor mats when winter rolls around. My sunroof used to roll the same way and it hasn't done it in a while. I noticed it only happened when my automatic lights were engaged... as in only when the light sensor detects darkness. I have read that it is something to do with some circuit board involving that... Don't quote me though, sorry I cannot help you there.

Hiierarch
05-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

sbart385
05-10-2009, 10:00 PM
New headlight assembly... depending on if you want OEM or aftermarket.... you can get good deals on Ebay. I have projectors with halo's that I picked up for $160. That included shipping. OEM is cheaper.

FromTheInside
05-10-2009, 10:08 PM
No problem man, welcome to the site.

PhantomLover007
05-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, I've been around the forums for awhile just reading and browsing and finally figured that since my first car is a silver 2000 Grand Am GT I might make an account to ask general questions I have. It's got 195,000 miles so it needs some work ha, so here's a few questions I have regarding repairs and such;

-How much should I except to pay for a new head light assembly, by that I mean the screws that come off the headlight and the plastic fasteners with it?

Check on E-Bay or GMPartsDirect. If you have a salvage yard near by, that would be alot cheaper. Also, try CertiFit.com

-When I start my car, while the engine is idling it will rev up to 800~rpm then down to 400~ then back up to 900~ then down to 500~ and do that for 20-ish seconds. why is that?

Vacuum leak

-How do I locate which hub is shot, I have a replacement but no idea which wheel to replace it on.

Listen for what side the grinding sound comes from. Works better if someone else is driving and you're outside.

-My car will turn over 2-3 times on some occasions then start the 3-4th time. some days it starts right up, is that because of a starter wearing out?

Yeah. It's starting to wera out. Mine does this some times.

-The sun roof is suppose to roll all the way back right? depending on the day it will go back 2-4 inches but never all the way back.

Either the motor is starting to go or you need to lube the tracks. IIRC, graphite or white lube.

-I have a Ram Air GT but it doesn't have the Ram Air hood and I'm not entirely sure why, any ideas?

The SC/T hood came as part of the GT1 option. All GAGT's have the ram air intake.

-I slide my car the other day and was entirely too close to flipping my car and that night I noticed that none of my dash lights work, by that I mean the backlights behind the dials, the mileage - gas-low light - etc still work. but the backlights behind the transmission markers aren't working either.

-I'm also interested in cleaning up the interior and switching from suede seats? to leather. Do they make leather seats for the 2000 GT or could I swap seats from another make/model and install easily?

Yeah. You can swap the seat from all late model GA's Just make sure that if you have a coupe, you get seats from a coupe or visa versa if you have a sedan.

-What sort of paint should I use on interior accents painting? I've heard that Krylon spray paint is good?

Fusion paint is pretty good. Look for a thread on how do it right.

-How much would new carpet for the whole car cost?

If off of E-Bay, $125, $200 something shipped.

-I've seen pictures of a guys car with 'GT' painted on his arm rest cover, how would I do that?

It's more than likely an overlay from CustomGrandAm.com

Thats all for now, thanks guys.

Reponses.

Hiier
05-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Thank you very much but could you explain how I would go about fixing a vacuum leak? Would finding a salvaged starter be a good investment?

Also, what does IIRC mean?

PhantomLover007
05-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Fix the leak w/ duck tape for a quick fix until you get a new line. Yeah, get a used starter to test thngs out. I had to do that w/ my wife's Satty to see if her starter was going bad or if it was somethng else.

IIRC... If I Remember/Recall Correctly

Hiier
05-10-2009, 11:22 PM
How hard is it to replace the line on the vacuum?

PhantomLover007
05-10-2009, 11:27 PM
IDK, I haven't had to change one yet thankfully. There's sure to be something about it on the threads.

FromTheInside
05-10-2009, 11:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pontiac-Grand-Am-4Pc-Car-Carpet-Floor-Mats-G_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1 4Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2 300e71f33QQitemZ150339002163QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just found those if you're interested.

Vacuum lines aren't hard to fix. They're basically plastic tubes that connect into rubber tube things. However, if you have a vacuum leak in a manifold gasket then that's a different story.

AaronGTR
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
The messed up idle could also be from a bad idle air control valve or throttle position sensor, a dirty MAF sensor, or an O2 sensor going bad. Or it could be a vacuum leak from one of a dozen places. Vacuum leaks are hard to track down. Inspect all the plastic and rubber lines coming from the upper intake manifold. Also if you hear a hissing noise somewhere around the manifold and suspect a leak, try spraying a little carb cleaner on the spot while the engine is running. If it revs up, then it's probably leaking there.

Since you have so many miles on it and it's having so many problems, first thing I'd do is take it to an autoparts store with a code scanner that will check your car for free, and see if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer. Some codes do not always set off the "check engine" light, and having those codes goes a long way to diagnosing problems. Second thing I'd do is a basic tune up. If you're lucky the previous owner kept some maintenance records in the owners manual. If not, better just start replacing things. Every 100k miles is a good time for new spark plugs and a new O2 sensor. You'll also probably want to replace the fuel filter and air filter, and do a coolant flush and change. If the trans fluid has never been changed, you'll definitely want a new trans filter and fluid. The car should run much better after all that.

Hiier
05-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Thank you very much, Aaron.
I haven't had a chance to pick up a Chilton's manual for it but I do have a new fuel filter, could you tell me where it's located at because I couldn't find it while I was inspecting the car. My dad's Chevy 1500 filter is much easier to find.

Also, would it be worth replacing the spark plug wires? I have quite a bit of experience with cars for my age, but would replacing the transmission fluid and filter be an easy job for an amateur? And an 02 sensor?

Thanks very much

AaronGTR
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
The fuel filter is under the back of the car, just in front of the fuel tank. The O2 sensor is in the top of the rear exhaust manifold. You'll need to unbolt the ignition module with the coil packs on it to get back there with a 7/8" wrench, and it might take some penetrating oil to get it out. I wouldn't think you'd need to replace the spark plug wires unless one of them was loose and causing a misfire. They don't really wear out. Changing the trans fluid and filter isn't real hard, but you will need a new gasket for the pan. There is no drain plug so you have to unbolt the pan to drain the fluid. start with one corner first so the fluid will pour out that corner into your catch pan. The filter is directly above the pan.

Hiier
05-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, a new problem has arisen. I need some advice on whether you believe it would be the fuel pump or something more serious. Last week I was driving and had my radio on as I was coming up to a stop light, gradually slowing to a stop and the next thing I noticed was that the car was shut off. I put it in park, shut the car all the way off and tried to restart it. I tried for 30-45 seconds before I let it sit and rest for around 45 seconds and eventually it restarted and drove fine for the next week. Well nearly an hour ago I was driving up a gradual incline and my windows were down so the sound of the wind was overbearing any other sound, and I felt the acceleration start to slip but the engine kept running. I pressed the gas and it began to accelerate only to slip once again but I pressed down a little harder and it started to rev again but then the accelerator quit working, I pressed it to the floor with no reaction from the car. I slowed to a stop and the engine was still running, so I put it in park shut it off and it wouldn't start anymore. It did all it could to turn over, and eventually began to start for around 2 seconds but quit. I turned the key somewhere in between it stopping and me towing it home and the engine shook a bit but not too violently.

So I need your help for I have no idea what could be wrong with it besides the fuel pump. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I went out and turned the key to ON in the car and I couldn't hear the fuel pump engaging so I assume that's a nice sign that it's that rather than something more serious. I've read that it could be some sort of relay? How would I go about checking that mysefl. Any thoughts?