how do i refill my r-134a on my 99 grand am gt [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : how do i refill my r-134a on my 99 grand am gt

bouji1
05-11-2009, 11:10 PM
i got the 134a but i cant find the damn low pressure port. is it the one in the front by the right tire? because thats what i thought it was but when i tried to put the connector on to fill it it would not go on. please help guys. pics greatly appreciated

FuriousG
05-12-2009, 12:03 AM
It's a blue cap down in the back of the engine on the passengers side. Look between the belt and the firewall and then down towards the ground. It's a pain to get to and even harder to find a product with a long enough hose to easily reach the fill spot. You can either connect by reaching down past the belt and risk catching your hand or clothing in the belt while the engine is running or you can try to reach up from underneath the car to do it. I tried both ways and neither of them was easy although I did have the car on the ground. Lifting it may make the underneath method easier.

2000 GT Coupe
05-12-2009, 12:15 PM
you can hook it up without the engine running.
I found if you reach from the little "pocket" behind the strut tower between the alt and the firewall you have the easiest time reaching it. It is still a pain though.
And it really helps if you have a long hose. Though if you dont the can can sit on the "shelf" behind the strut tower.

bouji1
05-12-2009, 02:11 PM
ok i found it thanks alot guys

GrandAmMe
05-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry but what is this r134?

stillriza
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
Sorry but what is this r134?

Refrigerant for the AC. It's what keeps you cool in the summer time. If you don't have any, then when you turn your ac on you get air...but not cold air..

AaronGTR
05-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd be more worried about not having any than recharging it. It's not supposed to run out, so it should be fine unless you have a leak somewhere, in which case refilling it isn't going to do any good 'cause it will all be gone again soon. I'd take it to a shop and have the system pressure tested and leak tested, then just have them refill it after the find/fix anything.

westerndragon
05-13-2009, 08:06 AM
i just had to do mine ugh lol.

SSRacer
05-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I'd be more worried about not having any than recharging it. It's not supposed to run out, so it should be fine unless you have a leak somewhere, in which case refilling it isn't going to do any good 'cause it will all be gone again soon. I'd take it to a shop and have the system pressure tested and leak tested, then just have them refill it after the find/fix anything.

Getting it tested is a good idea, although you may not really have a leak (but get it tested to be sure).

Last year I had to have mine done because I had no cold air, so I had a shop pressure test the system and put dye in the refrigerant so if it leaked we could find the leak. Nothing. Still have cold air now.

The guy told me that during the winter when you are not running the system the O-rings can dry out (there is a lubricant that helps condition them in the refrigerant) and shrink in the cold allowing the gas to escape. Once things warm up and you start using the system again the rings expand and seal the gaps.

He said this was especially true as the car gets older. He recommended running the AC a couple of times a month in the winter to keep the O-rings conditioned.

rocketfast123
05-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Very true, not using a a/c system can kill it.

GrandAmGTTT
05-14-2009, 05:48 PM
my system leaks freon somewhere. I think i'm gonna go ahead and fix it this summer so i can have A/C again, i miss having it :( Whats the best way going about to finding a leak with freon without taking it in

rocketfast123
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM
the part house sells a test kit.

2000 GT Coupe
05-16-2009, 12:55 AM
die in freon it marks up the leak.