trunk battery mount [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : trunk battery mount

burgett2103
05-15-2009, 02:09 PM
is there some kind of kit i can get for a trunk battery mount? if so let me know.. thanks

KhellendrosxS
05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Summit has them...so does NAPA and Im sure just about any other parts store can get you all the stuff you need.

Just remember that you need a battery cutoff switch wired up and functional from outside the car if you plan to use it at the track (summit sells these switches too). Most people drill a hole in a spare tail light and only install the rod and light when they go to the track.

AaronGTR
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Actually a battery cut off on the outside is NOT required if the battery is mounted in trunk for track use. It wouldn't be any different from not having a battery cut off on the outside with the battery in the stock location. ;)

The only time a battery cut off is required is when your car runs under a certain ET. Same as requirements for roll cages, drive shaft loops, scatter shields, etc etc.... you'd have to check NHRA or IHRA rules for requirements, depending on which set of rules your local track goes by.

KhellendrosxS
05-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Actually a battery cut off on the outside is NOT required if the battery is mounted in trunk for track use. It wouldn't be any different from not having a battery cut off on the outside with the battery in the stock location. ;)

The only time a battery cut off is required is when your car runs under a certain ET. Same as requirements for roll cages, drive shaft loops, scatter shields, etc etc.... you'd have to check NHRA or IHRA rules for requirements, depending on which set of rules your local track goes by.

Thanks for clarifying that Aaron, Id looked at the rules for Summit in Norwalk and I was under the impression that as soon as it was moved from the factory location it needed to have a cutoff mounted outside the vehicle.

I agree that the OP should check rules at the track.

burgett2103
05-16-2009, 10:21 PM
alright thanks guys

99Alero_Boy
05-17-2009, 01:09 AM
From the NHRA rule book......

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters

AaronGTR
05-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I guess they must go by class requirements for whatever events they are running then, because I've never had an issue at any of the tracks I went to. I sure as hell ain't going to put a big ugly cut off switch on the outside of my car! I don't see how it's any different putting the battery in the trunk than having it under the hood anyway. If something happens to the car and the battery is under the hood, it's still going to stay running same as if its in the trunk, so why don't they require a battery cut off for that? Kinda stupid rule if you ask me.

99Alero_Boy
05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, I guess they must go by class requirements for whatever events they are running then, because I've never had an issue at any of the tracks I went to. I sure as hell ain't going to put a big ugly cut off switch on the outside of my car! I don't see how it's any different putting the battery in the trunk than having it under the hood anyway. If something happens to the car and the battery is under the hood, it's still going to stay running same as if its in the trunk, so why don't they require a battery cut off for that? Kinda stupid rule if you ask me.

I got it for it at Bandimere the first time I went, easy fix though....

If you have a push pull type of shut off, you can thread the end of it. I have a friend that actually has a gun cleaning rod as hit push-pull shut-off..........Anyways, for the track it is easy to do, If you have a small hole right below or next to the taillight, and the end of your push-pull rod is threaded, you can just unscrew it when you are not at the track, besides I don't see how a big ugly cut-off switch is any different than a big ugly tow mount that you installed on your car (and yes for the record I like it) but from your standpoint I don't see the difference, I will go with the threaded push pull type so it is removable......