A few new questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A few new questions

sbart385
05-16-2009, 05:19 PM
Ok my first question is would the pcm from an 05 GAGT be compatable to put in a 99 GAGT? I thought I was having issues with my pcm so i went to the junkyard and pulled the pcm out of an 05. When I put it in my 99 now the car wont start. It just cranks and cranks, tries to fire, then goes back to cranking.

My next questions is about the sloppy 1-2 shift. I have seen several threads from years back but no one seems to have posted any solutions to the delay between 1st and 2nd. I get that delay all the time but mostly after the car has warmed up. It also keeps pulling P1810 and then it starts to shift really hard. I clear the code and it starts shifting normal again. Any ideas on what this could be??

Thanks

AleroB888
05-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Ok my first question is would the pcm from an 05 GAGT be compatable to put in a 99 GAGT? I thought I was having issues with my pcm so i went to the junkyard and pulled the pcm out of an 05. When I put it in my 99 now the car wont start. It just cranks and cranks, tries to fire, then goes back to cranking................

Not likely that it will work, but you have to do the "relearn" procedure.....

I am using a 2001 PCM program in my '99, and it works, with a couple minor glitches. But I can't get the program from my 2003 model to start in the '99, even after doing the "relearn."

I am not sure if the 2005 PCM is readable with the current HPTuners, but once the tranny tables are found, it might be possible to transfer them to the 1999 program. It may also be possible to modify the error code status in your original PCM.

Mine has always had a sloppy 1-2 shift :)

sbart385
05-16-2009, 06:00 PM
what is the relearn procedure? I asked my dad who is a master tech on mazda's and he said that it should just be driving it around. Thought that sounded way to easy to be true.

Grandamgtblk99
05-16-2009, 06:20 PM
You pretty much just turn the key to the on position and leave it be for 11-13 minutes, no less than 11 tho.

But I wouldn't run the 05 pcm. Theres a few changes that will affect it. They have different injectors and fuel pressures, so the injector flow rates will be off. And some of the engine harnesses are different.

To get it the same, you pretty much need one from a 99 since they changed the injectors and regulator and harness in 2000.

AleroB888
05-16-2009, 06:57 PM
what is the relearn procedure? I asked my dad who is a master tech on mazda's and he said that it should just be driving it around. Thought that sounded way to easy to be true.

Attempt to start the car by turning the key to the Start/Run Position.
Observe that the vehicle fails to start and that the security light is illuminated.
Release key to the 'ON/Accessory' Position. (DO NOT turn key to the 'off' position.)
Allow the vehicle to sit with the key in the 'ON/Accessory' Position for no less than 11 minutes.
Turn key to off position and allow the vehicle to remain in the 'OFF' position for no less than 30 seconds.
Repeat #1 - #5 for 3 cycles.
On 4th attempt, car should start.
NOTE : Since this is a fairly long procedure, I would limit all electrical sources, such as disconnecting headlights, to prevent discharge of battery.

NOTE 2 : It is SAFE to wait LONGER than the allotted time, but it is not safe to wait less time. I.e. 12 minutes instead of 11 minutes should be safe; however, waiting 10 minutes instead of 11 minutes is not safe.

Properly executed, this procedure should take approximately 35 minutes to complete.

Taken from PFYC.com

sbart385
05-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I think that for now I will just deal with the original pcm till I can afford to order one from Mark @ mp racing. I am wanting a CAI as well so why not just do both at the same time.

gagt Mechanic
05-18-2009, 09:02 PM
check eng codes are very specific on where the problem is for the most part. if it starts with a zero like p0300 it is generic and applies to all obd2 vehicals, if it starts with 1 like p1734 then it is specific to that manufacture. all 800's are trans codes, so your p1810 is a manufacture specific trans code, so that is why your trans is acting up, you need to get the code description and go from there.

Nick M
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
According to the Haynes manual P1810 is Pressure switch assembly malfunction.

sbart385
05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
So would the fact that I put a 2005 tranny into a 1999 gagt make a difference with the P1810 code?

Edit*

So I was bored tonight and couldnt sleep so I was going through TSB's and found that on TSB #03-07-30-021A it mentions the P1810 code and to fix it I would need the PCM reprogrammed. Does anyone know how much the dealership would charge for that? Or how easy it might be to fix myself

sbart385
05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Some info that I found on the P1810 code was that it could be partially or mostly the PCM. Went back to the junkyard and got a pcm from a 99. Still pulling the code. So I am guessing that the next step is to replace the TFP switch circuit? Or does anyone have any other ideas that I could try before having to drop the tranny AGAIN.

AleroB888
05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Some info that I found on the P1810 code was that it could be partially or mostly the PCM. Went back to the junkyard and got a pcm from a 99. Still pulling the code. So I am guessing that the next step is to replace the TFP switch circuit? Or does anyone have any other ideas that I could try before having to drop the tranny AGAIN.

If it works ok until the code is thrown, it might be worth a try to change the code status in the PCM to "no error reported", and see if you have normal functioning after that. That would probably mean there is a difference between the 2 trannies, which may or may not affect performance.

I have a similar issue , my battery light comes on with the 2001 program, due to the later models have an extra wire from generator to PCM.

I would be willing to let you try a 1999 Alero V6 PCM with that code deleted, assuming your car could start after the "relearn"....... I am assming you returned the '05 PCM?

sbart385
05-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes I took back the '05 PCM and got another 99gt pcm. So right now I have 2 99 GAGT PCM's. Both keep pulling the P1810 code. It still has the sloppy shifting before it pulls the code but once the SES light comes on it starts slamming through the gears and slams into gear when moved out of park.

Greg, If you would be willing to let me try that PCM or if you have a PCM tuner and can help me turn off that code that would be great too.

I am taking it to a trans shop in the morning for a free trans scan. They do a fluid check, computer scan, and road test. I am interested to see what they find. I will post an update with what they find and what not.

AleroB888
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Yes I took back the '05 PCM and got another 99gt pcm. So right now I have 2 99 GAGT PCM's. Both keep pulling the P1810 code. It still has the sloppy shifting before it pulls the code but once the SES light comes on it starts slamming through the gears and slams into gear when moved out of park.

Greg, If you would be willing to let me try that PCM or if you have a PCM tuner and can help me turn off that code that would be great too.

I am taking it to a trans shop in the morning for a free trans scan. They do a fluid check, computer scan, and road test. I am interested to see what they find. I will post an update with what they find and what not.

Ok, I would be interested to get info on this situation, since I have an extra tranny from a later model Alero which I had planned to eventually use. Right now, I can only reflash all 1999 Alero V6 PCMs, but if the modded Alero PCM worked in your car, you could send in your PCM to one of the sponsors to customize it. Send me a PM if interested.

sbart385
05-22-2009, 01:39 AM
So I went to the trans shop today for a free diagnostic and all they could tell me was what I already knew. "Oh your car is pulling a P1810 which means.... blah blah blah blah blah". They took 8 hours to figure out what I have known for weeks. Gotta love Aamco. Anyone know where I can find the troubleshooting flow chart for the P1810 code?