need help on getting a '94 grand am GT door open with no key [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : need help on getting a '94 grand am GT door open with no key

GrandAmMe
05-19-2009, 09:01 PM
NO, im not trying to steal it. Its a friend of ours up at our cottage who has the car and its been sitting under a tree for 7 YEARS! Now the keys are nowhere to be found and the doors are locked. Anyway i can easily pick the lock for the door without investing any money in it? I don't think it will be moving anywhere soon but we were planning on trying to do something with it this weekend. any way I can roll down the window? manually open the trunk? anything to gain access inside the car. if i do end up getting the doors open and if the keys still cant be found i will carefully take apart the steering column to see if i can turn the ignition that way. Unfortunately i got rid of my old GM keys and left them in my totalled GT because people say the silver key works in any gm car door :) .

Thanks anyway!

juanvan
05-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Slim-Jim or similar
I don't think you will be picking it like in the movies lol

If the Silver key worked on Any GA i think there would be alot of stolen items.
With out the key you won't turn the ignition, would have to get a new one.

Can't you go to the dealer with the vin and get new keys cut? That would be the easiest thing to do. Might run ya 25 30 - but a new ignition will be about the same if not more..

GrandAmMe
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
alright. The car seems to be pretty much scrap so im either thinking of getting them to give it to me and I part it out or do some crazy things with it. He wants to put it on the road this summer but i know that WILL NOT be happening. Its covered in green hard stuff from the tree its under, there is a crack that you can feel with your fingers in the windshield, the back seat floor is filled with water...the list goes on. IMO i wouldn't want to drive the car. Well I will see if i can get the parents permission to take apart the ignition and use a screwdriver because i (GrandAmMe's son) want to get this pig going but cant do so without a key. I hope it doesn't have any pass-lock system. So for the door i will just use a coat hanger and a wooden wedge....the ignition is another story

juanvan
05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Ya your not going to get it started with a screw driver.. unless you ruin the ignition.
And taking it to a service station for repair of the window will be an interesting story

GrandAmMe
05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
yeah im thinking of taking off the plastic shroud around the while steering column and taking apart the ignition from there if its possible. Hopefully they find the key's!

juanvan
05-20-2009, 11:08 AM
When I did the ignition on a 90's Bonnie we had to take off the wheel, take the column down and pry alot.
In the end we ended up getting a new column all together.
And how do they want you to re-run those wires for the resistor in the key? magic..

K WeRd
05-20-2009, 11:50 AM
if you get in the car which i dont know if you did, i didnt read the whole thing, and you find the registration and VIN number, you can go to a GM dealer and have one custom cut to the VIN number.

Ajaxus
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
or..since it sounds like it has no good use, you could just blow it up for ****s and giggles..

sbart385
05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
um... it is possible to get the ignition to start with a screw driver.... lol I have a 99 gagt that when I bought it the ignition had been punched... i could use just about whatever to start it. Dont know how to get it to that point but it can be done! lol

rocketfast123
05-21-2009, 01:35 AM
i like to use one of these to open a lock door. And you can find them everywhere
http://earth911.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/single-brick.jpg

You get something like auto jigglers.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/images/products/RCS-10.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ww4rVsC83U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROzDT_2gJAU

Another good site for toys.
http://www.lockpickshop.com/

GrandAmMe
05-25-2009, 07:16 AM
ok so got the key now and got into it. Got a battery and it fired up! its actually a 1992 GT so it had the 3300 GM V6. we took it to rev limiter a few times then shut it off. Now she wont start at all just cranks. no spark but is getting gas. i cleaned off the computer plate due to corrosion but that didnt change anything. before it wouldnt start the car went into an electrical melt down but is fine now. any ideas on where and what to check for the reason it has no spark?

rocketfast123
05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
computer plate? you mean the plate under the coil pack?

chuckclose1
05-25-2009, 03:25 PM
um... it is possible to get the ignition to start with a screw driver.... lol I have a 99 gagt that when I bought it the ignition had been punched... i could use just about whatever to start it. Dont know how to get it to that point but it can be done! lol

umm its called a dent puller... screw it into the ignition and slide the wieght. that simple.
thats why the started putting chips in keys so if you do punch the ig nition the starter still wont engage

GrandAmMe
05-25-2009, 03:33 PM
yeah under the whole coils and under the plate they attach to. Most of the time they will get corrosion and not ground out properly.

rocketfast123
05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Autozone should be able to test them. Either the top part or bottom part might be bad. But since the car has been sitting for so long, a mouse might have ate at some of the wires.

GrandAmMe
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
yeah but i mean it started and ran fine then got really jumpy then wouldnt start the next time we tried to start it so....