headlight replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : headlight replacement

guodf
05-21-2009, 09:48 AM
My Daughter has a 2001 grand am and the passenger headlight went out, I am not mechanically inclined so when I opened the hood to see what I was getting myself into you can image what I said. I do not have an owners manual so I was hoping that someone can give me step by step instructions. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick-G
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you just wanting to know how to take the headlight out? If so their are two metal clips that have to be pulled up then the headlight should slide right out.

guodf
05-21-2009, 01:59 PM
How do I get to the head light?

burgett2103
05-21-2009, 02:02 PM
you have to pull off the whole ram air cover there are like 6 or so of those screw/washer things and slide that out and then you can get to the headlight from there and follow nick-g's instructions listed above

aiixon
05-21-2009, 02:21 PM
there's a how-to for this just search for it.

guodf
05-21-2009, 03:02 PM
Thanks all, I will give it a try tonight. Is it recommended to change both even though only 1 went out?

aiixon
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
nope just do the one that's out.

Mike Jung
05-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks all, I will give it a try tonight. Is it recommended to change both even though only 1 went out?
I would recommend changing both headlight bulbs.
While you are at it, why not change also the 194 NA bulbs ? They are always burning out (at least for me).

If one went out, the other one mostly will go soon too.

& How To: Change your headlamps (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6680)

Becareful not to break the the headlight retainer ring, they break easily.

& make sure you put back in the headlight housing properly.
In all 3 aimer spots, & that you push it far enough back.
If you do not: your aiming will be focked up.

This is an easy to do thing, but is so easy to screw up lol

Nick-G
05-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I would recommend changing both headlight bulbs.

I agree change them both and just use the one that's still good as a spare.

skifreak122
05-21-2009, 10:45 PM
...no reason to do more work than necessary. I've had my car for 6 years now. 5 years ago 1 headlight went out so I changed it. Haven't had to touch either of them since. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The only reason to change them both is if there is a very noticeable difference in the light output from the new bulb.