Radio/Amp Won't Turn off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radio/Amp Won't Turn off

Vampyrate
05-21-2009, 02:34 PM
So it has been awhile since I've posted, but anyway here are the details:

1999 Pontiac Grand AM SE with Aftermarket HU and 2 Subs (running 2 CH. amp
The amp is hooked up properly for those that are wondering, I have run the same setup in other cars in the past and for friends with no problems.

I've had this setup for over 3 years now and the problem started last week (right before graduation). Whenever I would turn off the car (in park and all that fun stuff) the radio and amp would stay on, so I would still have music going with the key out of the car and the car off, thus draining my battery and me needing a jump whenever I need to go anywhere. Thankfully I have graduated and I'm just sitting at home watching my car get pooped on by birds :( .

Another problem that I have is when I do get the car jumped and started, I can take the key out and still drive around (so I'm thinking its the actual tumblers that are eff'd up in the ignition).

So any other things to check before spending money that I don't have to get the ignition replaced?

chuckclose1
05-21-2009, 04:46 PM
did u wire the head to the ignition wire provided for your factory stereo and run the blue remote wire from your head unit to the amp???

if you did you should not have that problem. that tells me your ignition switch malfunction is effecting more then just the tumblers in it and u will need to replace the switch.

Vampyrate
05-21-2009, 11:49 PM
at first i had it wired to the "amp" wire on the harness that i have and noticed that it kept the amp on all the time, so i switched it from that to the remote wire for the battery itself and it worked for about a day. now it just stays on, so now my car has been sitting at home for about 4 days without moving because im stumped.

seeing as i just graduated college and have a lot of interviews coming up (hopefully) i need something reliable for me to get to and from the locations, so selling the car is a distant contemplation of mine.

thormxkid
05-22-2009, 07:50 AM
hook it up to a fuse thats only on when the car is something like the sunroof fuse or something

cardude007617
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
sounds like an incorrect wiring job

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
if it were an incorrect wiring job, the car would have died 3 years ago when i first got it, not after 3 years of the same configuration that i have run in every car.

and for the wiring harness of the car itself i have a circuit city wiring harness where there is no cutting or splicing at all, just plug and go, again no problems for 3 years... so its not like i can go out and check the wiring if it just plugs into each other one way

cardude007617
05-22-2009, 12:12 PM
ohhhh. is it still tight? it could have come loose or something

chuckclose1
05-22-2009, 12:37 PM
it is most likely your ignition switch. its not telling the car that it is turned off.
u can check that : take off the radio bezel and locate the ignition wires, most cars have 2 or 3 trace the wire from your hu and see wht wire is powering it. use a multi meter to check and see if there is current coming from it in the off position. if there is its your switch. the only wire that should have power to it when the switch is off is the mem wire.

i hope this helps ya gl

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 01:15 PM
well your ground is not supposed to be more than 3 foot from your amp... sometimes that can mess with stuff if you wanna check that just in case..?

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 01:17 PM
or rewire your amp to fuse panel under the hood and rewire remote wire to sunroof fuse and install a toggle switch

ga2001gt532
05-22-2009, 02:10 PM
it would obviously be your ignition switch since its broken and you can take your key out and it still runs. it shouldn''t be your wiring since you've had it in their for how many years. when did you notice that you can take your key out was it about the same time this started happening.

dagenais
05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Had the same problem with a buick and it was the ingnition switch keeping everything on

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
oh woops i read that whole top wrong with what was wrong with your car :p. i told you some wrong answers :p

ga2001gt532
05-22-2009, 02:16 PM
yeah i was wondering why everybody was saying the wiring was the problem

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
haha i didn't notice the part with how the car still runs and he can drive around with no key in it :p

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:17 PM
but that is actually pretty cool

ga2001gt532
05-22-2009, 02:24 PM
that would be nice but the bad part is somebody could take your car if you leave it running. i like to use my remote start if i need to use my keys and i don't want to shut it off.

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:26 PM
yeah... only time it's ever really left running is like say going into a gas station for a can of dip or something.

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
well your ground is not supposed to be more than 3 foot from your amp... sometimes that can mess with stuff if you wanna check that just in case..?

the ground wire is actually about 15" maybe shorter, i never have my ground wires longer than that (im a certified electrician out of high school and remember a little of what we talked about from that many moons ago)

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 02:33 PM
it would obviously be your ignition switch since its broken and you can take your key out and it still runs. it shouldn''t be your wiring since you've had it in their for how many years. when did you notice that you can take your key out was it about the same time this started happening.

i noticed that about 2 weeks before the amp stayed on constantly which was about a week before the radio started acting like that

just for my own reference, the ignition switch needs to be coded by the dealer doesn't it? if so thats about 5-600 easy right there.

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
but that is actually pretty cool

it is pretty cool. i actually had a loose connection with my radio one day so i took the key out and had my dash apart while driving. had to have my girlfriend hold my dash and keys while i "worked" at 75 mph on our way home on a school break

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
good luck buddy

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 02:36 PM
yeah... only time it's ever really left running is like say going into a gas station for a can of dip or something.

i would leave the car running but lock the doors, the remote would still unlock the doors... came in handy on those cold Wise, VA mornings when i was hurtin for some skoal

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 02:48 PM
haha of course... so say when you get out do you have to turn key to turn it off or does it stay running since you do have remote start? or do you have to turn key to turn car off then get out lock it and start it again with remote? i have yet to get one

Vampyrate
05-22-2009, 08:26 PM
i dont have remote start lol

burgett2103
05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
i want one!

Vampyrate
05-23-2009, 02:16 AM
as do i

burgett2103
05-24-2009, 12:34 AM
i got a plcae 10 miles away that installs for 250 plus installation..... good deal or naa? i haven't really looked up prices on these bad boys

Vampyrate
05-24-2009, 12:39 AM
they aren't hard to install if you know what you are doing (ive done quite a few) but if you are the least bit wary have someone else do it. and 250 for an install is about fair considering the amount of time it takes to test it and install and all that fun stuff

burgett2103
05-24-2009, 07:47 PM
alright man sounds good

chuckclose1
05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
did u test the switch like i explained?

if u did was there current with the car off?

if not there is one more avenue to check. the door sensor might be going up and not registering that you opened your door so it will keep the radio on. thats easy to tell thou, make sure your dome light is set to door and open it and see if the light comes on. if it does your switch is fine.

let me know what you find out , im curios to know now lol

Vampyrate
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
door sensor is good, the dome light is always on to the door setting just for that reason, i didnt get a chance to test the switch for the fact that my car is dead and i have no charge on the battery at all, i need a jump first to at least test that

i know that i will have to have it towed (or jump it) to get to a dealer, but my parents, being the helpful folk they are, are holding firm that some shadetree mechanic can do it... if that were the case, then my car would be running now (i could do it myself). and people wonder why i hate repeating myself, its my parent's fault lol

Vampyrate
06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
so i think jesus broke into my car last night and fixed it.

that or the more likely, water had gotten into the ignition and it finally dried out (been raining for close to a month straight between school (when it first happened) and today. i jump started the car the other day just to give it a weekly drive and didnt bother to try to check yesterday if the car worked or not. just by chance i went out today before work (thank god for being within walking distance) and the car worked just fine!

so its either jesus, or wet ignition, im going with the later.