question about gt, gt1,gt2 etc [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : question about gt, gt1,gt2 etc

99PGAGT1
05-22-2009, 09:00 PM
When i run my vin, on my title, etc it says my car is a 99 Grand am gt1. but it did not come with the steering wheel controls, or six way power seat etc. So im being told its the gt. is it possible that the gt1 came without these options?

i now have the radio controls, six way seats and leather so its not a big deal, but im just curious.

AaronGTR
05-23-2009, 09:24 AM
No. There was no GT2. There was SE, SE1, SE2, GT, and GT1. All GT1's came with steering wheel radio controls standard and they were the only model to have it. If your car was a GT1, it would have 1G2NV1 at the beginning of the vin code for a two door coupe or 1G2NV5 for a four door sedan. NV was for the GT1.

99PGAGT1
05-23-2009, 04:19 PM
i think you may be wrong. even when the insurance company typed in my vin it came back as a 99 grand am gt1. i dunno. window sticker says gt1. any carfax ive done comes back gt1

AaronGTR
05-24-2009, 07:02 AM
I'm not. I've got the GM RPO and VIN code book right here in front of me. ;) If it doesn't have steering wheel radio controls, it's NOT a GT1.

stewartfn18
05-24-2009, 09:56 AM
i'd listen to aaron because he's right

sbart385
05-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Did you buy it brand new? If not then the previous owner could have changed the steering wheel and taken out those radio controls. I would check what Aaron said about the vin and verify that you dont have the NV in there indicating whether it is or not.

2000 GT Coupe
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Did you buy it brand new? If not then the previous owner could have changed the steering wheel and taken out those radio controls. I would check what Aaron said about the vin and verify that you dont have the NV in there indicating whether it is or not.

Smart man, That is what I was thinking too. Check your vin if it has those letters then its a gt1 that someone might have wrecked? Blown airbags? or just didnt like the radio controls.

Nick-G
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Smart man, That is what I was thinking too. Check your vin if it has those letters then its a gt1 that someone might have wrecked? Blown airbags? or just didnt like the radio controls.

Blown airbags would for sure explain it not having the controls if it is a gt1.

PhantomLover007
05-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking the same . I'd like to change out my steering wheel for the ones w/ the radio controls.

Y2KGA
05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Take a look at http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/

Jake
05-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Mine was listed as a Gt1. I was sad to find out it actually wasn't :/

AaronGTR
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Blown airbags would for sure explain it not having the controls if it is a gt1.

Good theory... but actually the controls are in the spokes of the steering wheel, and the air bag is only behind the center part where the horn is. If the air bag blows you don't have to replace the entire steering wheel. Only the air bag in the center.

Nick-G
05-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Good theory... but actually the controls are in the spokes of the steering wheel, and the air bag is only behind the center part where the horn is. If the air bad blows you don't have to replace the entire steering wheel. Only the air bag in the center.

Maybe they didn't know that? lol

westerndragon
05-26-2009, 05:08 AM
I'm thinking the same . I'd like to change out my steering wheel for the ones w/ the radio controls.

I hope its just for the look lol I have them and the ergo is really chunky I hardly use them.

RPO3
05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
i'd listen to aaron because he's right

Not To D*ick Ride But :thumbs:

AaronGTR
05-26-2009, 07:28 PM
I hope its just for the look lol I have them and the ergo is really chunky I hardly use them.

I've never had trouble using them. The ones on my GP are the same and are easy to use. If you want to see some with bad ergonomics, take a look at an olds intrigue. The steering wheel radio controls on my mom's are terrible! They are impossible to use and confusing as well.

westerndragon
05-27-2009, 01:43 PM
maybe its the hard corners that screw up trying to change the radio station lol thats definatly my problem

AaronGTR
05-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Found one more small bit of info. Look for UK3 on your RPO code sticker on the underside of the spare tire cover in the trunk. That is the code for the steering wheel radio controls. If you have that code, but no radio controls on the wheel, then that would tell you that the previous owner replaced the wheel for some reason. Thats only if you have the correct vin number for a Gt1.