started car, smoke from dash [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : started car, smoke from dash

beattyGT
05-24-2009, 03:08 AM
i just started my car and smoke started coming up through my dash right in front of me. i quickly shut the car off, opened my door, ripped the fuse door off to look for whatever was burning but couldnt find anything. i could definitely smell something burning. its been almost an hour now as i was looking and getting my garden hose hooked up lol. no smoke since i shut the car off but im afraid to turn it back on.

right before i noticed the smoke i used my wipers/washer fluid to clean my windshield. if that could have something to do with it?

also my service engine soon light came on last week, i thought it was my gas cap but the light is still on. i planned on having my mechanic take a look tuesday.

could this just be a blown fuse?

thanks for any help

99 gt 3.4

AN_ICON
05-24-2009, 06:27 AM
A blown fuse should not make something smoke its probably a short.

Pauljp
05-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I've heard about smoke coming from the multi-function switch (MFS) on the steering column.
This was caused by dirt in the MFS which created the random clicking sound from your flasher.
I've had the clicking sound, but never saw any smoke. Others have the clicking and saw smoke too.
Since you were using your wipers at the same time as the smoke, it seems to point to the MFS.
The only way you are going to know for sure is to start up the car again. Do it slowly this time and be ready just in case. But I don't think you will see any more smoke.
There are How-To's on how to clean the MFS.

beattyGT
05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
thanks

started it up with no problems. i just got a little scared when i saw that smoke haha.

dooder85
05-26-2009, 11:22 PM
when that happened to mine, it was the starter dying - and wanting to go out with a bang, it fried the fusable link, which smoked.. a lot