Coolant leak under crank pulley? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Coolant leak under crank pulley?

ryanbgb22
05-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, I don't think its the lim, because it is too low in the engine. After driving, I keep getting coolant leaking and smoke under my hood. When I pop the hood, I have coolant everywhere, this is due to the serpentine belt picking up coolant from down below, and slinging it all over the place. From what I can tell, the coolant is leaking very low in the engine, possibly even under the crank pulley. I cannot pinpoint the area directly. It is definitely leaking a decent amount - enough to leave a puddle after a drive. I am pretty sure that it is not coming from the heater core lines....So what else is there that low in the engine that could be leaking coolant?

Jake
05-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Water pump?

350rs
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
my father had a similar problem on his 3.1 lumina. Turned out to be the timing chain cover i think. as strange as that sounds. i didnt think coolent went in there.

GrandAmGTTT
05-24-2009, 09:09 AM
i had that same problem happen to me and it was just that the gasket on the water pump went bad, so i just bought a new pump and new gasket and put them on. solved the problem. Just to be sure your leaking from the water pump u better be sure you can see exactly where its leaking from so u fix the right part.

ryanbgb22
05-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Its really seeming like its leaking deeper in the engine than the water pump. The majority of the coolant seems to be collecting around the crank pulley like I said. Its so hard to tell with so much coolant being everywhere.

chris_gt_74
05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Dry it all off. Grab a flashlight and crank her up til you see it coming out of where ever.

GrandAmGTTT
05-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Dry it all off. Grab a flashlight and crank her up til you see it coming out of where ever.

yup at this point thats the only way your gonna figure it out.

sbart385
05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
There are kits out there that are relatively cheap that have a UV additive that you can put in your coolant then shine a special light where you think the leak is coming from to help you pinpoint the leak exactly. Check with your local parts store and see if they have anything like that. Last I saw Autozone carried it.

dmalle02
05-26-2009, 02:36 AM
could be your timing chain cover gasket.. i ave seen this happen once before. other ten the heater core lines there isnt really anythign else under there. any possibility that there is a pin hol in ur lower rad hose or anything?

ryanbgb22
05-26-2009, 07:03 PM
water pump it was. I guess all is good now. I hope.

themanytoys15
09-15-2009, 02:42 PM
So it was the water pump, was it the gasket?

ryanbgb22
09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Gasket has been leaking for about a year outward, nothing in the oil. And yea, the big coolant leak was the waterpump.

themanytoys15
09-15-2009, 09:52 PM
LOL, funny man that **** happen to me today, i took it to a machanic and told him, "hey how do you know if the water pump is failing", he said "turn around and look" ****iing coolant was leaking like there was no tomorrow. I taught it was gonna be a bitch too change it, but na it was easy as making macarroni :applause:

another thing man, when you changed your did your have a different design? or look to it?

ryanbgb22
09-16-2009, 07:55 PM
LOL, funny man that **** happen to me today, i took it to a machanic and told him, "hey how do you know if the water pump is failing", he said "turn around and look" ****iing coolant was leaking like there was no tomorrow. I taught it was gonna be a bitch too change it, but na it was easy as making macarroni :applause:

another thing man, when you changed your did your have a different design? or look to it?

Yes, it looks somewhat different. Its not an oem product.

AaronGTR
09-16-2009, 10:13 PM
They came out with a new water pump design in '03 also so if you change the water pump on an older car, the new one you get will look a little different.

Jake
09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Water pump?

Yesss score one for Jake.

cbond00824
02-16-2016, 05:11 AM
What's up guys. Same issue here. So I'm going to jack it up and take a look. Doesn't overheat. There is just coolant everywhere. My father in law and I changed out the head gasket a few years back. The water pump also has been replaced around the sane time. When I shut down the motor, you can here bubbling coming from somewhere lower. I heard it for about ten minutes. I'm curious to find out.

mlog
02-17-2016, 11:53 AM
What's up guys. Same issue here. So I'm going to jack it up and take a look. Doesn't overheat. There is just coolant everywhere. My father in law and I changed out the head gasket a few years back. The water pump also has been replaced around the sane time. When I shut down the motor, you can here bubbling coming from somewhere lower. I heard it for about ten minutes. I'm curious to find out.

Let us know what you find. Don't overlook the possibility of loose hose clamps. I've had several worm gear clamps loosen on me in the past couple of months. It seems to happen during the winter months, especially with the cheaper clamps. I should probably replace them with something better like Breeze Power-Seal Clamps.