exhaust system questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : exhaust system questions

chuckclose1
05-25-2009, 01:08 PM
im doing an exhaust swap on my 01 gagt and we were planning it out the other day at my buddys shop. when we put it on the lift and got under it i was surprised to see what little room you have for straighening the pipes. i started looking at some of the aftermarket catbacks out there and they dont seem much straighter than the stock pipes.

does anyone that has put an aftermarket catback on have any insight on this.

SSRacer
05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
The aftermarket kits are going to follow the same path as the factory exhaust, so they won't be any straighter. But they will generally have larger diameter pipe, freer flowing muffler and be mandrel bent. The factory pipe actual has a flat spot on it where it goes over the rear suspension, the aftermarket kits will be full size round tube the whole way.

chuckclose1
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
thanks for the insight man. sense a friend works at a muffler shop i get good deals on pipeing. i got a high flow cat and a performance exhaust all 2.5" and we are gonna pipe it out our self

emissions testing in my state is strick so i dont wanna go to extreem on the set up just want a little more hp and that lovely rumble lol

i just got the car after i do get summoned for emissions testing i would like to get a whole new setup from headers all the wy out