How do you turn the engine over manually? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do you turn the engine over manually?

Ryno
05-26-2009, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know how to turn the engine over manually without trying to start it? Like can you use the bolt on the crank shaft pulley or is there someway to turn it with the fly wheel or something? The reason I'm asking is I think that there may be some water and possible rust in the cylinders. The engine won't crank over with the key trying to start it. I just did the lower intake manifold gasket replacement awhile ago and the guy I bought the car from left the spark plug out so I know some air got inside because I could see rust on the valve spring rockers, and camshaft. Do you think this engine is doomed or could I blow out the water from the spark plug holes and maybe soak it with some WD40 and then try and see if the engine will turn over manually? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah its a 1999 Grand Am GT HO. I bought it pretty cheap not running so if I have to replace the engine then thats just what I'll have to do, I pretty much figure thats whats going to happen but if anyone knows how I could save it that would be pretty cool. Thanks

Vegeta
05-26-2009, 12:52 AM
You can use the bolt on the crankshaft to turn it but its probably shot.

lone_wolf025
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
It'd be easier to turn it over using the bolt on the alternator as opposed to the crank itself assuming it can be turned over and you have a belt on it, but as Vegeta said its probably shot. Take out all the spark plugs and squirt oil into all the cylinders. Pop off the valve cover plates and squirt oil all over everything. Then try turning it and see what happens.

Realistically though, if the starter is good and it can't turn it over, you won't be able to either.

lvemy3100
05-26-2009, 11:28 AM
if it wont turn just pull it and tear it down .. you will know real fast if its worth saving

SSRacer
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking rust on the rockers and cam shaft is a very bad sign...

ga2001gt532
05-26-2009, 08:45 PM
you may or may not want to try this but put some regular coke down the intake or plug holes that will free up the pistons if their frozen. thats what me and my dad did in a 1971 ford torino that was frozen up when we got it. after we let it sit for a while with the coke in it, we finaly got it unlocked and started it up and it ran good untill we sold it. you might as well try something before you replace it, unless you want to tear the motor down.