problem not resolved afterall.. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : problem not resolved afterall..

350rs
05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
my high idle isnt resolved. Ive changed the IAC, TPS, cleaned the IAC seat. I have NO more ideas. Its not every startup, and when it does happen it can still be resolved by turning it off then starting it back up. Sometimes its one start, sometimes its two or three. I always let the pump fully prime and let the lights turn off before starting. It NEVER does it when the car is hot though. Not once. Only on cold startup. I would suspect a vacuum leak, but it isnt a steady problem, and those leaks dont come and go.

From what i can tell my throttle plate is closing completely. But i havent had a chance to look at it. Never seems to happen when i have the time to tear it down and look. Ive done a tuneup ( plugs, wires, o2 sensors, fuel filter) and it changed nothing. Though i didnt think it would. Maybe its something with the computer? Maybe a IAT? Ive cleaned the MAF as well.

My patience is past thin on this car, so any help would be AWESOME.;crap

lvemy3100
05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
so it idles high at first when you jsut start it up and then slows down? sounds pretty normal to me..

I am guessing it idles higher the colder it is in the morning?

350rs
05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
no, REALLY high. Not the normal 1100 or so for a few seconds. im talkin 2k or higher usually.

blazingerbs
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
man, i have EXACTLY the same thing happening on my 99 gt ramair
It seems completely random, it will go weeks and then it will come out of nowhere
i haven't tried anything to fix it. i have heard it could be o2 sensor

ga2001gt532
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
it shouldn't be the o2 sensor since your car wont use that untill the motor is hotter.

350rs
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
na it wouldnt be, just describing what i changed.

Lab Rat
05-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Have you sprayed any starter fluid around the vac lines looking for a leak? That would be my first thought. If one of the little hoses is torn or thin the prob could be intermitant just like you describe. Spray around the throttle body as the gasket could be suspect also. RPMs should change when the spray is sucked in by the vac.

350rs
05-28-2009, 09:38 PM
na not yet. Which lines should i suspect? I dont want to go sprayin all over for no reason ya know? TB gasket is obvious. Ive never looked at it, wouldnt think it would be an intermittent problem, but at this point. ill try ALMOST anything.

99blackgagt
06-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I have the same exact problem, when i start the car it will rev high almost 3000 and when driving i will get up to like 45 mph and the rev will continue to hold at like 2500 or 3000 RPM and i can take my foor off gas and the car will continue to go 45 mph without me touching it...then when i turn the car off its like holding down the accelerator to 3000 rpm and then shutting it off its loud and bogs down....i have short ram cold air intake and when this high rev happens it sounds like the intake is sucking in a lot of air....intermittent just like the other guys having this problem

westerndragon
06-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I have the same exact problem, when i start the car it will rev high almost 3000 and when driving i will get up to like 45 mph and the rev will continue to hold at like 2500 or 3000 RPM and i can take my foor off gas and the car will continue to go 45 mph without me touching it...then when i turn the car off its like holding down the accelerator to 3000 rpm and then shutting it off its loud and bogs down....i have short ram cold air intake and when this high rev happens it sounds like the intake is sucking in a lot of air....intermittent just like the other guys having this problem

Same here GM stikes again.

99blackgagt
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
i know...what the h*ll is this problem with the GA's? I dont get what would make the car high rev up to 3000 and not come down....it does it on a cold start but reminder (it is 80 degrees outside here) so the engine isnt really cold....so weird and not sure what to do

DarkMagna
06-30-2009, 04:01 AM
I too, would like an answer to this.

My '98 SE with 3.1 does the same thing.
It's intermittant. Sometimes when it happens, I drive for a block, shut it off and restart, and it's fine. Other times, I have to drive it, and drive it, and drive it....always shutting it off at red lights and stop signs, restarting and hoping that the idle goes back down.

The stupid thing wants to run away on me. Usually, it's in the neighborhood of 1500 - 2000 RPM.....sometimes higher.

The temperature doesn't seem to matter. It'll do it when the car's warm or cold. It'll do it when the outside temperature is 10 degrees Centigrade, or 30 degrees Centigrade....it doesn't discriminate

I really want to solve this before winter hits again. Trying to slow a racing car down on the snow and ice isn't fun.....and shifting to neutral (which is what I have to do) to remove power from the drive wheels isn't much fun either, when shifting to neutral, the stupid thing wants to rev itself to death.