Shotgun Approach!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Approach!!

HenryM
05-27-2009, 09:07 PM
hi,
I was wondering if the 65mm throttle intake, the borla exhaust system, are CARB approved> and if they are,,,and if they are, will the 29lb injectors along with a pcm programming update to recognize these upgrades and and still pass a state (NM) inspection along with no SES light. Also,,,does anyone have any experience with these upgrades and do you like/dislike?

Also,,,are there polyurethane products for the rear of the 99 & up Grand Am?

thx all!!:hay:

PhantomLover007
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
For products, check Milzy, MPR, 60degreev6, PFYC, and CustomGrandAm

AaronGTR
05-27-2009, 10:27 PM
The borla exhaust I believe is CARB approved, but you should check their website to be sure. Most exhaust systems usually don't affect emissions at all so they usually are easy to approve.

Pretty much every other mod you find for this car however, including the 65mm TB, will NOT be carb approved. They are made by small companies for a small market and they don't have the budget nor is it cost effective for carb testing for such small batches of parts.

No idea what 29lb injectors you are talking about. Typical upgrades available are 28 lb/hr, 36 lb/hr, and 42 lb/hr. You won't need bigger injectors for just an exhaust and Tb upgrade though. Won't flow enough air to max out the stockers, so you won't see any extra HP from adding bigger injectors. A PCM can certainly be tuned for all those mods and not have any SES lights on. Whether or not they will pass a state inspection depends totally on the state and how in depth their inspections are and how picky the inspector is. That's totally up to you to find out. ;)

PhantomLover007
05-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Not to be a dumbass, but WTF is CARB?

Nick-G
05-28-2009, 09:08 PM
California Air Resources Board

Not to be a dumbass, but WTF is CARB?

Don't worry I used google lol

PhantomLover007
05-28-2009, 09:14 PM
I was going to, but figured the really smart Asian guy (not Sik, of course.. lol ) would school me on it.. lol

BOOTMASTER
05-29-2009, 02:44 PM
a carb is what was used on older motors lol :)

AaronGTR
05-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, CARB is in california. I don't even know why he's asking about it since the only states I know of that use CARB approval and emmisions standards are new york and of course cali.

Vampyrate
05-29-2009, 07:35 PM
perhaps they are moving to one of the two locations soon